.10

George

We entered the conference room and I felt sick. Not that there were two police officers there, but that we were going to talk about our relationships to Cassie and I didn't know what I would say.

"So what are your guys' names?"

"I'm Adam Hann, and this is George Daniel." I concentrated on a pen just sitting on the table.

"So Hann, could I just call you Hann, and you Daniel?" I nodded and snapped out of my thoughts. Adam replied with a 'sure'.

"Hann, what is your relationship to the victim..Cassie..Hann."

"I'm her brother. She's my adopted little sister."

"And you, Daniel?"

"I-" I thought for a second. "I'm the fuck up in her life, so I'm the almost boyfriend." Adam stepped in.

"Things get rough between them when our friend decided to start things. They're building everything back up now."

"Okay, Almost Boyfriend and Brother By Adoption, do either of you know where she was headed?"

"To run a few errands. She needed to go to the store, pay a few bills, and take some money out of her bank account to set to the side at the house." I remember the things I had. "I have her bills and list. She forgot it so I was running them out to her but she was already up the street. She was at the stop sign and it was her turn but the car to the left decided to be awesome and rammed right into her side of the ca-" I got up and left. Everything came back. I couldn't handle it.

I sat in a corner of the building outside and smoked a cigarette. I had my knees to my chest. The smoke filled my lungs and soon left. I know these are death just waiting to happen, but they were addicting. Like I'm addicted to Cassie. I'm addicted to her smile, her laugh, hell even the way her hair smells after she takes a shower, green apples. My vision was blurry once again and everything just let itself out. I cried. I'm not afraid to admit that I'm crying over a girl I love.

"Hey..there you are." Adam sat next to me.

"Here I am." I let out a shaky breath and blinked a few times.

"Would you want to go see her? They have her in a room. You can't get close but you can see her through the glass door."

"Sure.." Adam led me to her room.

I saw her laying there. A tube in her mouth for her to breathe. Multiple IVs in her arms. She looks so fragile and pale. A nurse motioned is to come in.

"So Miss Cassie has a bit of tough things to worry about. We cannot do anything about her injuries just now. She's currently in a coma. Her left side is horrible, but her right side is surprisingly better than we thought."

"When will she wake up." I stared at her pretty face with my arms cross waiting for an answer.

"That cannot be determined."

"Okay.." I whispered and she left.

"I'm going to go to Ross and Matty now. Call me if you need anything."

"Aren't you going to stay?"

"She heard what I've had to say. I'm sure she's sick of me. I'm always sick of myself." He laughed lightly and left.

"Hi baby.." I moved the hair out of her face. "I'm sorry. I could've done something to help you. I could've stopped you before you left. Anything to avoid this. I love you. I can't stop saying it." My voice was sounding hoarse now. "I love you so much Cassandra."

I held her hand for a few minutes.

"I want to be able to show you how much i love you by going into a store and buying you the biggest teddy bear they have. I want to show my love for you by doing those terrible dances with you. I need to show you how much I love you. You're my everything." I kissed her forehead and sat back.

I couldn't help but let it out. I'm sure everyone could hear me crying and trying to talk at the same time.

"Are yo- oh my.." An old lady came in.

"Oh. Hi." I wiped my face.

"Hello. Are you okay, honey?" She pulled up a chair beside me.

"I don't know anymore."

"What happened to your wife here?" I smiled.

"She's my girlfriend."

"Girlfriend?! That's it? Boyfriends usually dong cry and care that much for their girls."

"She's my world."

"That's sweet."

"So what brings you here?"

"Grandson broke his leg while playing soccer."

"Oh, I'm sorry. I hope he gets better soon."

"Thank you. I hope everything here gets sorted out. I'm Lucille."

"Thank you. I'm George."

"Classic name for a classic young man." She smiled and left. I felt a little better.

I sat and heard a voice ask for Cassandra.

"Cassandra who?"

"Cassandra..Hann I believe."

"Right over there."

A couple appeared and their faces were covered in horror and worry. "Who are you?"

"I could ask you the same questions."

"I'm John and this is Isabella. We're Cassandra's parents."

They weren't Adam's parents. I'm dealing with Cassie's real parents. Great.