The Lone Princess

ERIN
******

The princess has been in her room crying the whole time after what she heard from Roxanne and Dylan. She's been sitting in a ball, curled up on her bed. I tried to move her, but she would only yell and to tell me to get out. Couldn't blame the child though, being told her parents were being held captive by the opposing country in war.

Here I am, making dinner, with the princess still in her room sobbing away. I should come up there soon and comfort her (And by that, I mean tease her).

After Dylan told us her parents were captive, princess Marigold's face was pale. Then suddenly, she too started crying. I usually don't let her leave my side, but this time I let her scurry back to the tower. It must hurt being told this, I can understand.

Once Marigold was gone and left for the tower, I asked the two for details. "Could you tell me how you know all this?" I asked them.

"The Queen and King," Dylan said, his voice raspy from crying.  He was wiping his tears and comforting his wife, who was still sobbing. "We found them in the midst of things 12 years ago, and helped them escape."

"Did the Tizian men find them?" I asked quietly.

"Not for a while, but yes," He said. "We would come back to the village from time to time, but there would always be some Tizian men somewhere, looking for survivors to murder. So the four of us would camp out in the woods until they left.  My wife and I tried to provide. We survived for six whole years. But then..." Tears started coming to his eyes again.

I knelt down beside him. "Please calm down and tell me what happened." I said. But once he started, he wouldn't stop crying. I sighed, and did a little spell on the two of them. Immediately, they stopped crying.

"What was that?" Asked a bewildered Roxanne. The couple stared at me suspiciously.

"A comforting spell," I told her. "I used it all the time in the past with the princess. Could you tell me the rest now?"

This was very important information. I must know every detail.

"Yes," Roxanne said. "One night, when we came to visit the village, the Tizian men were there, and for the first time in six years, they saw us. We tried to run, but they caught my husband and I. We yelled at the queen and king to run, but they refused." She told me, her voice cracking up again.

"Ah," I said.  "Yes, that seems like something they would do."

Her husband patted her back. "They admitted themselves as the queen and king of Zenel, and for our freedom, they gave up theirs. We begged them not to, but still..."

Back came the waterworks.

"It's okay, it's not your fault," I told them. "Please rest and be assured, everything will be fine." I did the comforting spell once again to calm down the husband. 

"I'm...glad to see you are doing well," Roxanne said.  "You've been doing a great job, taking care of the princess."

"Yes, that is my job." I said, habitually smirking. 

"More than a job," Roxanne replied.  "You treasure her, it's just that she doesn't know."

I said my farewells, left the tent, and went about my business.  Our food supply was decent at best, but our civilians are doing a good job of keeping up the supplies.  I made sure to do everything swiftly, to get back to her

As I am making dinner, the sounds from upstairs lessen.  The princess has calmed down quite a bit, I don't hear much sobbing anymore. Now would be a good time to visit her in her demise. I walked up the steps and entered her room.

"You okay now?" I asked as I entered. She looked up at me from her bed and gave me a sad smile. The smile she showed after I took her to this tower years ago. The smile that always pained me. I hated it.  I could feel a grimace on my face.

"Yes, I'm fine." She told me, wiping her eyes.

Lies.

"I'm sorry for yelling at you, I know you were just worried." She sat there, wiping her tears.  Her eyes were red, her face wet.  I went over, sat next to her, and patted her head.

"Of course I would be worried," I told her, smothering her in my arms.  I buried her head upon my shoulders, comforting her to the best of my abilities. "You are my princess, after all."

She giggled, trying to get out of my embrace.  Only, it's not like I'd let her go, only to look into the eyes of my crying princess again.

"Jeez, don't you feel embarrassed saying that?" She asked me, pushing me away, and reluctantly I loosened my grip.

"No, it's the truth after all." I said, smiling at her. She looked up at me, then down again, obviously not knowing where to look.

"Say, would you do that comforting spell on me again? Just like the old days," She asked me.

"You were a child back then," I tell her.  "And besides, didn't you tell me not to use spells on you anymore?"

"Y-Yeah, but this is for a good cause!" She yelled at me.

I read her mind at this time. She thought I was being a smart-mouth, despite it not being my intention.

I smiled at her and did the comforting spell. The one where I transferred all my good thoughts to her. She closed her eyes and let those good feelings come in.

Once it was over, she looked much more cheerful, and she quietly told me, "Thanks." I smiled at her once again.

"It's my pleasure, princess."

MARIGOLD
************

How annoying, being comforted by this guy. I've been living with him for years, so I know he's trying to hide the fact that he's crazily worried about me. Which, in all honesty, makes me feel bad because I pushed him away.

Letting go of me, he got off the bed and stood up.  He fixed his glasses and held out his hand to me. "Dinner is ready, would you come downstairs?" He asked.

Though he's an annoying brat, he knows just what to say and what to do. And like I know him well, he knows me best. I very much care for this little wizard, unlike Rapunzel who hated her witch. I know Erin wouldn't do anything to me, even though he's that witch's descendant and I'm Rapunzel's. Also unlike Rapunzel who hated this tower, I love it here.

Wow, Erin's comfort spell works too well.

Cautiously, I grabbed his hand and got up.

"I hope today's dinner will be decent this time." I teased. I have to try teasing him sometimes, or I'll never win against him.

"How does that explain your thoughts of how my food is always terrific?" He mocked back at me in the same tone.

Curse this wizard and his curses.