Rescue

PETER
********

Where did that fire come from? But I already know. Erin did it in an attempt to rescue Marigold. I don't need to worry about her, because with the wizard in there, she's bound to be safe by now. But I still can't help but worry if she's really out of the fire.

Erin did come out, not through the front gates, but he did! He stupidly went back in through the gates for some unknown reason. I tried to go after him, but he yelled at me,"Hands off!" Did he not save Marigold yet?

I watch it tear down my kingdom, burning up everything in sight. Firefighters arrived and are hosing down the building. The guards are also taking attendance right now, and so far no one is missing. That's when I wonder, if Erin and Marigold did made it out, wouldn't Marigold at least, be here right now? I look around the yard.

Worry builds up in me again.

ERIN
******

These spiral staircases are a pain. Only if there was a teleportation spell, I'd use it. Well, there is. I'm just a little too inexperienced to be using it. I might end up on the other side of the world if I did one simple mistake.

If my parents were still alive to teach me, I might have known it. But there are no known records on spells. They are simply passed down by generations, all the way up to me. I still have no idea what spells there are.

Fire is all around me. Burning my skin. I can't use the barrier spell, since I already did it on the princess. I feel my body turn weak, and I'm probably gonna die down here. But I refuse to pass away until I know the royal family is safe and sound.

I look around the basement. Everyone is screaming, and the sound hurts my ears. I still have the keys I stole from the guard earlier, and used it to unlock what seemed like an office, which was a room down here. It was terribly dirty, but I managed to find the machine that unlocks the jail cells.

I moved quickly. I switched every switch possible, hearing the cells click and open, people running out screaming. I might be letting criminals out, but no one deserves to die. The sounds of people screaming become louder, and there are tapping sounds of their feet scampering upstairs.

I was able to unlock every switch. It was then I exited the room. Outside was chaos, everyone pushing and pulling in order to climb the stairs to exit. I run in the opposite direction of them, going towards the cells.

I know their cells. The king and queen have the worse cell at the very end. I move quickly. The fire started in the tower all the way at the top, but it's coming closer downstairs.

I made it to their cell. The two didn't run away like the others, they just sat there in the corner, scared stiff. They took one look at me and cried in relief. "Erin!"

"Your majesties..." I say, breathless from running. It's been so long, twelve whole years. But they remembered me after just one look at me.

I was treated just like their own son, since my parents were dead. Though my dignity still couldn't help but feel the need to serve them. I was treated as dear to them, and I feel the same way. I'm deeply glad they remembered me after all these years. And I must say I've grown a lot too!

It was no time for memories! "Please come with me," I tell them. "There's a fire that's soon arriving. We must be quick," They quickly stand and follow behind me. We start running towards the stairs, which were empty, seeing as everyone already evacuated.

All three of us climb the stairs, while the others escaped. I seriously never ran this much in my entire life. We climbed the stairs as quickly as possible, but it was too late. The fire was coming down these steps, and appeared right in front of our eyes. The two shrieked as I pushed them back down the stairs, saying, "Evacuate, get back down there!"

We climbed back down those stupid spiral steps. This was not part of my plans. I was sure we'd have time to exit the building. But I was wrong, the fire was unpredictable.

Back in the basement, I slammed the door shut and stared at the Queen and King. They were frightened and shivering, and looked at me like I knew all the answers. The fire was coming closer, and the heat surrounding us was getting intense.

But I don't know all the answers. I feel so helpless right now. I slide down to the ground, looking away from their panicked eyes. I thought I'd have this all under control. That my powers would come in use.

I was so wrong.

I can't do anything. We're all going to die here. I couldn't save them. I used up all my powers. I'm not as strong as I think. I look up at the couple. Their eyes...they look like Marigold's.

Eyes that haven't given up hope.

That's right. Marigold is still waiting. I promised her I'd be safe. While I'm sitting here mopping, there are people still believing.

I feel hope build up inside of me. It turns into some strange power I can feel warm my soul. I've grown a strange new power. I might just have another spell to save them. It's not the happiest ending in the world, but it's better then nothing.

"Your majesties, I'd like to try something," I tell them quickly. The fire is almost here. It's coming closer.

"No!" The queen yells, shocking me.

"What..." I say, slightly offended. "You don't even know what I'm about to say!"

"You're about to bring us to safety," The King states. "But leave yourself to die here. Is that not what your thinking?"

"I won't allow it," The Queen tells me. "You may not risk your life for our safety! We can't leave you here to die, you're too precious to us!"

I scowl at them. I knew that already. And they're right, I was just about to do just that. It's for their own safety. But surprisingly, I start chuckling too, confusing the two. They're smart with their predictions, unlike Princess Marigold's.

I'm sorry, but your commands can't stop me. My smile starts to turn into a frown. Once I set my mind on something, I won't budge an inch.

"Sorry," I say, out loud. I cast the spell quickly, before they have a chance to stop me. They are frozen in time while a mystical red light surrounds them.

I stare at their unmoving bodies. In a few seconds, they'll be safe. I'm filled with relief, but my body lost the growing power from before. I'm growing weak again. I slide to the ground with a thud, and lean against a wall as I watch them fade away.

Sad. The princess fell in love with me without my realizing. And I never told her my answer.

It's a little weird. This weakness I feel now isn't like the one before. It's more....relaxing.

My eyes never leave the King and Queen as they are teleported away from my sight. The fire is just behind the door now, burning my back just by leaning against the door. I made it in time.

Everyone's safe.

My eyes grow weary, and slowly, I close my eyes.