Escape

ERIN
*******
How annoying it is. How incredibly annoying.

It's troublesome. I can't focus on anything anymore. The guards, they saw my wounds after the spell, yet only laughed at me. Probably thinking of how stupid I was, injuring myself. They didn't care at all, as if they wanted me to die. And they do, don't they? A boy sitting in the corner, always glaring at them whenever they meet his eyes. Surely I can't help it, it's a habit! They upset me!

The wounds from the soul spell has affected me gravely. My breathing is hard and gruff, I can barely hear myself think. At times like this, it makes me want to go home, back to Zenel very badly. I've been trapped here for too long. Either way, I've already decided that today I was going to rescue the princess.

Sure, I'm not at my best right now. Not even close. But I must do it, as it's my duty as a citizen of Zenel. Before myself, I must make sure the princess is happy. I look around the room, watching the guards every move. Drowsy looking... This is perfect.

They'd catch me even I don't make noise, so my only chance is to run as fast as I can.
I watch the two guards watching my cell. One has fallen asleep. He'll be fired soon. The other one isn't looking this way and is half-asleep. Also will be fired soon. Though I must be careful, there are many more guards here. I creep up towards the door and touch the lock, careful not to make a sound. They don't seem to notice. I fiddle with the locks using a hairpin I found lying on the ground. A grave mistake, genius guards. As expected, I opened it in three seconds flat. It's me after all!

My eyes are going blurry. I realize I had little sleep thinking of how I was to plan this escape. I carefully open the door. The guards don't notice at all.

Now.

I burst out of the cage and assented the stairs. It took only moments before I heard the guards yelling and chasing me from behind. "Stop him!" I heard one guard say. "Be careful! He's the wizard!"

Yeah I am! And I decided to be proud of that fact. It's what she'd want me to do after all. Long ago, I hated being born a wizard. Though I'll embrace it now, because that's what will save us.

I have a few spells planned for this occasion. The guards running up after me are slow and out of shape. I've always traveled hours from the tower to the village, so I'm quite fit. I was the one checking on their well being, finding them lost, bringing them shelter and food. I've always took care of them, because no matter how much they hate wizards, I think of them as friends, my allies.

The first spell of this night, the invisibility spell. The lost: My body turns cold, as if I was in a snowstorm in Antarctica. This spell does wear off after ten minutes, leaving my body as cold as an icicle. Shame really, such a useful spell for a huge lost.

I cast the spell. It's casted by sending all the warmth out of my body. I think thoughts of summer, the opposite of winter. Winter will take those thoughts and cast them away. My body will be left to be paler and paler until I'm invisible. Warmth will try coming back, so I will soon regain color over time. But for the meantime, I need to make haste of my time.

I look at my body turn pale, then invisible. My breath is cold. I never really liked this spell, I'm not used to the cold. I climb the stairs, step by step. The guards are far behind me, but I can hear their screaming. I finally make it to the top, but I don't stop to gaze, I immediately ascend yet another flight of stairs. My breath is growing hoarse. The cold hurts.

As I reach the top, I see even more guards. I expected the guards would have summoned more. Especially at the top where Princess Marigold lies, since they know she's the only thing worth me staying for in this kingdom. This seems bad, at least five more guards are added to the stairway up here, but it's actually going as planned.