Forgiveness

PETER
********
This was very strange indeed. The King and Queen of the rivaling country, Zenel, appeared out of nowhere and made my citizens shriek with fear.

Whispers were forming among the crowd. I heard some say 'unnatural' or 'crazy people'. But why? These two have been here for years acting as normal as anyone.
Out of nowhere, these two appear before my crowd of citizens. They were as surprised as we were, randomly appearing out of thin air. The queen and king of Zenel fell to the floor with a thump. Slowly, they stood up and observed their surroundings. A crowd stood before them while they stood helpless in the middle.

This was the wizard's work for sure, making these two appear. I know now why Erin went back in. And I'm pretty sure he's the one who let all the criminals out. Great, more work.

My guards, being well trained, immediately swarmed the couple with swords and guns, thinking this was a surprise attack. I knew right away this was no attack, that they weren't faking this helplessness on purpose. The two were pale, even though they were just surrounded by fire.

The guard appointed as leader yelled, "Hands up!" Everyone stared, waiting for the two to obey. They didn't. They stood there, helpless and shaking upon the crowd.

"Make way," I said, loud enough for others to hear. Slowly, the crowd made a pathway from me to the couple. I walked towards them.

I was stopped by the leader halfway. He put a hand on my shoulder and pulled me back. "Prince Peter, I don't recommend this," He told me, plead in his voice.

"Let me through," I simply told him. He hesitated, but released his grip on me. I started walking again, but this time was stopped by my own parents.

"Peter," My mom said, glaring at me. "Just what do you think you're doing?"

"Helping," I simply said.

"Peter, these two aren't normal. They appeared out of thin air, it's immortal! You must not go near them!" My father yelled at me in front of the crowd, which should never happen. Somehow, this made me upset.

"They are normal!" I yelled at them, shocking my parents. "Just because they look different, just because they do things differently then us, doesn't mean we should hate them! We should know them for who they are,"

I learned this only recently. From Erin himself, regrettably.

I stepped to the side and began walking again. This time I wasn't stopped, and was standing in front of Marigold's parents. They didn't look at me, but stared down at the ground avoiding my gaze.

I tilted my head to look into their eyes. I knew it. These two were crying. The Queen and King would never act so uncivilized before their people. No wonder they refused to meet anyone's gaze.

"Are you okay?" I asked them, feeling a little pity. They wouldn't look up. I can feel everyone's eyes on me for helping them.

Where's our daughter?" The King mumbled, just loud enough so I can hear.

"We don't know, she's not here," I say quietly. I'm worried too. I checked everywhere for Princess Marigold, but she's nowhere to be found. Did Erin already take her home already?

I look at their faces once more. But surprising me, they glared at me. The King pushed me out of the way, which made some guards jolt. Do they hate me? I tried to help them. Well, I did bully them a bit in the past, I admit that. They walked right past me.

Everyone stared as those two walked away.

No one stopped them. Heck, they even cleared a path for those two. They were somehow different from us. Something in their behavior, looks maybe? Or maybe because they were of the royal family? No, I feel fine about Marigold, and she's part of the royal family. It's just something about these two. Maybe it's got something to do with their aura?

Oh, they suddenly stopped. I was stuck in my thoughts for a second there. But why'd they stop?

I looked past to where they were standing. My eyes grew wide as they set their sights on the girl standing, just a few feet away from them.

"Mommy, daddy!" Marigold cried while looking at her parents. Just at the sound of her voice, they embraced her. The two showered her with hugs and kisses from head to toe.
She obviously didn't like it. Her face was a deep red from embarrassment and struggled to free herself from their grip.

Yet they wouldn't let go. The family was reunited, and were crying tears of joy. I felt myself smile suddenly. Their happiness was contagious. The joy of seeing family at long last reunited.

But suddenly, I started crying.

I don't know why, but the tears just kept falling. I tried wiping them away, but they kept falling onto the soil and on my bare hands.

Now I know why. It's the guilt of being the one who separated them. I was the one who kidnapped Marigold's parents. My ten guards and I surrounded and threatened those two. Even though I love Marigold, even though I knew, I still kept them locked up and away from her. It was all my fault.

I never want to kidnap again. It's too sad to separate one from their loved ones.

Marigold's parents finally let go of her. They gave each other warm smiles. Smiles were forming in the crowd, happy to see the family reunite at long last. Suddenly, Marigold asked, "Mother, father, where's Erin?"

Those were the words that set silence among everyone.