Chapter 9 - Alpha Adam, what about Ethan?

~~~ Josh talks to Adam at MacLarenPack

Dante was handling the main phone line for the pack, and since he wasn't too close to Adam or his pups, wasn't too concerned about missing the birthday party. He did get brought some of the treats, including the cake, though.

It was still early so getting a call was a bit surprising. The number was flagged as a known number from another pack, but was not a secured line, "MacLaren Pack, how may I direct the call?"

"Good morning, this is Beta Joshua Callahan of the Fossil Valley pack in Oregon. I need to talk to... Alpha Gareth I believe. It is in reference to a Night Depth's pack."

He blinked for a moment and looked at the time, "Alpha Gareth is currently in a meeting with the Elders. Would a Second be acceptable?"

Josh wasn't familiar with the term second, but he was guessing it was similar to a Beta, "Yes, it would be fine."

"Just a minute then," Dante replied, putting the call on hold and transferring to one of the wireless handsets. Grabbing the handset from the charger, he raced out to the dining hall, and catching Adam just as he was just heading out.

"Alpha Adam, I have a Beta Joshua from the Fossil Valley pack in Oregon. They asked to talk to Alpha Gareth about Night Depths pack, but he just went into a meeting with the Elders. They are fine with a Second; could you take it?" he held out the wifi handset. "The line is not fully secured."

Adam was startled, "I'm definitely the one to talk to them. Thanks." He told him, as he took the handset.

"This is Acting-Second Adam of the MacLaren Pack. I understand you want details on the Night Depths Pack? Can you secure the line at your end, the details are fairly sensitive." Adam spoke, as he walked into a small meeting room.

Adam frowned slightly as he looked at the phone. He had the encryption activated, "What encryption method do you use? We have a Cisco VoIP encryption system. I can make adjustments as needed to secure the line." He was already logging into the secured router used for the pack level VoIP calls. Once they had worked out the encryption issue he verified the connection before speaking again. He was going to have to check the router and phone system. It should have shown the connection hadn't connected correctly.

Alpha Adam was confused too, "One second while I check this end. I just had the network set up here, and it should have showed as secured." After getting an acknowledgment put it on hold and made a beeline for his computer. Checking the severs, he found the issue being it rejected the unknown source. Changing a setting, it now switched to secure.

"Sorry, the issue was it didn't recognize your connection so didn't bother trying to connect securely. I have fixed it, and it's now fully secured." Alpha Adam advised.

Once both were sure Josh started speaking again, "I am calling in reference to a young man by the name of Ethan Fortune from a Night Shade, no, I meant Night Depth's pack. He indicates he has been ruled a rogue for asking the wrong question. I need to talk to someone who can give me information about this pack."

*Brook, can you see if you can find Ethan Fortune in the Night Depths pack records? He seems to have been picked up by a pack down in Oregon* Adam asked, and got a startled reply but he knew she would take care of it.

"I am probably the best person to give you details. As of four days ago that pack ceased to exist, I killed their Alpha when they attacked us. They had eighteen lost in the fight, and the rest now have me as the Alpha. Most of the remaining pack are currently being housed here at MacLaren. I am more correctly Alpha, but for now, I am also an acting-second within MacLaren."