Life in the Flames-22

Chapter 22 

Alonia’s POV 

The castle was now on edge. It seemed like everywhere you were people showed signs of nervousness and even fear. Now that the rumors of war had surfaced, the news spread like a wild fire and everyone in Floric was preparing for the worst.

Reid had told me he had gone to his father as soon as we had made it back two days before I had woken up. King Blane was furious when he heard of what Volcin had done. Breezy’s father had left personally to go take a message to the air king in Nersis.

Now Reid is so busy and I barely get to see him. It hurts me to see him so stressed and worried but I knew for the sake of the people all around me I had to let him do his duties as the Prince. Sure I wanted to see him, talk to him, or even just be with him but I had to let him do what he must.

It took me about four days of bed rest to where I finally could get out of bed and move on my own. I sure was tired of being cooped up in that room, always being cared for. Honestly I like doing things on my own.

Around the time I started moving about my mother and the rest of the three dozen remaining water wielders were moved into the west wing of the castle to stay until things die down. I’ve spent so much time trying to learn all of their names and to help them get used to the fact that they were in the presence of so many fire wielders. I knew how uncomfortable they were feeling because I too felt like that at one point.

Serra is just wonderful and I’m glad I have her in my life now, she’s like the older sister I never had. It has been nice to just sit and talk with her outside beside the willow and koi pond and talk about wielding methods we both share. I bonded with her instantly and she seemed to fit into Breezy and my own group seamlessly.

For the kingdom being on the verge of war soldiers and guards swarmed the palace grounds and I had been told many also patrolled the streets of the city. Then before I knew it the king ordered for his general to go to the city and start signing up new recruits to be trained. Thorin also told me that the black smiths were working around the clock to provide weapons and armor for those who would be fighting. It seemed like war couldn’t be avoided.

Then one day I was in the library with my mother reading about a new method of water wielding when a young servant boy with charcoal black hair rushed in and headed straight for me with a piece of parchment in his hand.

“Miss Seaream?” he asked looking me over in a simple white and blue day gown.

“Yes?”

“This is for you,” he said and handed it over, then he left.

“Who is it from dear?” my mother asked setting down her book and shifting over in her chair to try and read my letter.

“It doesn’t say,” I said as I unfolded the piece of parchment and didn’t recognize the writing. “It says, ‘Alonia once you receive this message I would like to request your presence in the royal wing of the castle to the meeting room please. I have some questions for you and some facts that need to be straightened out. It is of utter importance so please come quickly. –King Blane Flairon.’”

“The king, Alonia go ahead, don’t keep him waiting,” my mother said as she used the arm rest of her chair to stand on her strengthening legs.

I stood up, hugged her, and said, “Love you mother, I will see you later this evening.”

With that I left the library and luckily I had taken some time to learn the basic layout of the palace this time so I wasn’t completely lost. But I did have to stop and ask a servant if I was going the right way, and I wasn’t.