Life in the Flames-6

Chapter 6

The Arena

Out stepped the biggest, meanest, and ugliest man I had ever seen in my life. His black hair was filthy and matted to his head in dreadlocks. Scars and bruises marred the large muscled surface of his seven-foot body. His eyes were a dark red that looked like they thirsted for blood, my blood. He caught sight of me and smiled a disgusting four-toothed grin. 

My throat went bone dry, my palms started to sweat, and my heart felt like it was going to pound out of my chest. I took a quick step back into the pond right as I saw the giant man starting to bend the fire. 

I lifted my hands bringing a wall of water around me right as the fireball was about to strike. The water sizzled and turned to hot steam that rose into the air. 

The crowd both cheered and booed at my block of his attack. 

My mind and body were racing a mile a minute as I kept blocking his attacks and tried to think of what to do. The giant became angrier and angrier as his attacks became more frequent but sloppy.

I had no idea what to do. This time he moved his hands out to his sides and clapped them together sending a jet of fire straight at my chest. I quickly lifted my hands bringing the water up to block, but a small flame had broken around my water shield and started eating at the fabric of my pants. 

I sat down in the water before my skin became burnt. My opponent laughed wickedly and so did the crowd. 

Enough of this, I thought as I stood up shin deep in water, with my anger making my blood boil. I was done with this, no more shielding how angry I was. I put my hands on my hips and glared at my foe. 

He threw his head back and laughed. "Oi, girlie whatcha gonna do noew?" he asked mockingly. 

The mob erupted in laughter.  

"This," I answered. 

"Wha-" he began as I sprang into action.  

I balled my right fist and sent gallons of water flying onto the bonfire the giant man had been using as his weapon. Smoke rose from the soaked cinders but no fire remained. Most common fire benders could not produce their own fire. Only the highly skilled or those born with the skill inside of them are able to conjure fire out of thin air. I could possibly had been risking my life if the man could produce a flame himself.

His mouth flew open and he yelled up into the stands, "Oi! That's unfair!" 

Some of the spectators grumbled in agreement but most stared at me, waiting for my next move.

I balled both of my fists and in my fury, sent two jets of water straight into his chest. The impact caused his body to fly back with his arms and legs trailing behind. The mass laughed at him while I received some applause. 

Then he stood up soaked and infuriated. You could actually see the water steam off of him. His red eyes shone in fury right before he roared and started running towards me. 

When he reached the middle of the arena I grasped the power inside of me and started building up a giant wall of water behind me. 

As the water grew taller the crowd grew silent in anticipation and my opponent got into my range. 

"Ahhh!" I yelled as I forced the water to arch over my head, flying in a continuous stream from the pond, and over the top of the man. The constant water pressure caused his body to give out and fall to the ground. Then he began choking when he tried breathing, but instead recieved a lungfull of water.