Chapter Fifty Mixed POVs

Felix's Sister

Chapter Fifty
Felix's POV

Cyrus, Sawyer, and I hung out for the next few hours. Gradually, my nephew and I started talking more but we were annoyed with each other. I knew Cyrus could sense this, but she seemed to enjoy watching us try to get along.

She glanced at her phone as we sat at the beach. Sawyer was playing in the sand and Cyrus and I were sitting at the table, talking. She sighed. "We have to go," she muttered and stood up. "Come on, Sawyer."

He looked up and frowned. "Do we have to go?" he asked.

"I'm afraid so, baby," she replied. "But we have to go meet Papa at the court house."

His smile appeared instantly and he jumped up. I stood as well and Cyrus started back toward Main Street. She took the lead, walking fast while Sawyer and I stayed behind. She seemed tense and I figured it would be best to leave her alone.

"Mum," Sawyer said, running up to her. "Mummy!"

He grabbed her arm. "Not now, Sawyer," she said, pulling away from him.

"But Mum-"

"I'm not in the mood, Sawyer," she snapped. "Whatever it is, it can wait."

"But I have to go to the bathroom," he said timidly.

She stopped walking, putting her head in her hand. "I'm sorry, honey," she said. "Mummy's just a little stressed right now. There's a bathroom at the courthouse; we're almost there."

She continued on and I walked faster to catch up with her. "You all right?" I asked quietly.

She glanced at Sawyer, then looked at me. "I thought I was rid of Jacob," she replied just as quiet, hoping her son wouldn't hear. "And... I don't know. I'm scared, I guess."

I took a slow breath. "Oh," I said. "Well, it'll be ok."

She gave a bitter smile, looking at the ground. "You're really bad at this, you know?"

"Yeah, I know," I frowned. "But at least I'm trying."

She glanced up at me. "Yeah, you are. I appreciate that."

I put my arm around her, hugging my sister in an attempt to comfort her. I didn't like seeing her so worried. And I really didn't like the idea of her marrying someone she wouldn't be happy with. She was only doing it for Sawyer. I suppose only a mother's love could make her even go through with it.

Cyrus gave me a small smile before staring up at the courthouse, sighing. She hesitated when she took the door handle. "I don't think I can do it, Felix," she whispered.

I put my hand on her shoulder. "You don't have to," I told her.

She bit her lip and looked at Sawyer. "Yes, I do."

"Mum," Sawyer said impatiently. "I still have to go to the bathroom."

She rolled her eyes and opened the door. She guided him to the bathroom, then turned to me. "I um, have to... age," she said awkwardly. "You know, so I can marry Jacob..."

She backed toward the bathroom as she spoke, rubbing her arm nervously.

"Cyrus-"

"I'm ok, Felix," she insisted. "I'm just... fine."

She turned and disappeared into the bathroom. A moment passed before I saw a light flash from underneath the door and heard Cyrus cry out in pain. Habit told me to check on her, but intuition told me not to. She was fine; this was her choice. I just didn't like hearing her in pain and not being able to do anything about it.