I remember when I found out.

Author's Note: *heavy sigh* this is where the tears start falling... Leave if you like, though I can't imagine how you'd live after reading this much and not knowing what happened... Move along now. Move along.

I remember when I found out.

I sat down with the nurse outside Mark's hospital room.

"Ok." She sighed heavily.

I could feel my throat closing up, all of my insides screaming, hoping that Mark would be ok.

"Good news or bad news?"

"This isn't one of those things where the good news just distracts from the bad is it?"

"No, there is genuinely good news."

Jack gulped.

"Ok then... Good news."

"The good news is that Mark's head will be fine, his fall wasn't even that bad, he suffered no brain trauma and he will have no side affects of the fall other than possible occasional headaches. It looked worse than it was."

Jack felt himself relax a bit. Mark would be fine. He hadn't even been hurt that much in the first place. Jack almost wanted to laugh at himself for overreacting. But he remembered that there was bad news. What could it possibly be?

Jack gulped again.

"Bad news?"

His voice was strained with worry.

The nurse was tearing up. She wiped her eyes a little.

"I'm sorry sir, I always hate having to break the news to people, and especially since you seem so nice..."

Jack panicked.

"What news? Please tell me he'll be alright."

"Sir... I'm afraid when we were doing our routine check over of someone who comes to the emergency room, we... Found something. It appears that Mr. Fischbach has terminal lung cancer."

Jack couldn't breath. His Mark...

He felt the tears fall. He wanted to scream, to hit something, but it hurt too much. He couldn't move.

"It's already too far along to cure. You are lucky that we found it when we did though, we can give him a few extra months. He..."

Jack tuned out the nurses talking. He wondered if this was real life. What was happening?

Soon, another nurse came out of Mark's room.

"He's awake. You can see him now sir, if you like."

Jack stood up, feeling as if he wasn't controlling his muscles, and he walked blankly into the room. He sat down next to Mark.

"Hi Jack."

He sounded fine. He couldn't really have cancer, right? It was all a mistake.

"How long?" Was all Jack could manage to croak out.

"Three months..."

Jack cried harder than he ever had in his life. Mark didn't cry for himself. He held his fiancé in his arms.

Mark didn't feel any different. He felt... Normal. But the doctors told him he had cancer.

Mark held Jack's shaking body, and heard every sob that wracked his body.