CHAPTER 2

"I heard the Enterprise is flying over the town tomorrow." Michael said.

The Enterprise was an amazing aircraft carrier. The aircraft would take off and land thousands of feet up in the air.

The next day, we went outside after school and watched the ship fly over. Such elegance. I went back to sketching my custom battleship. More anti-aircraft guns maybe. I went back inside to watch TV.

"The drafting age has indeed been lowered down to fourteen." The announcer said.

I spit out the cup of water I just got. Fourteen? Our age? No! It was getting late, so I went to bed thinking of this new information. A few hours later I was woken by the air sirens.

"Nico! Shelter!" My dad screamed.

That meant running across the street to the large bunker. On the way there, the anti-aircraft guns had started up. Planes flew overhead. I looked up and back to see a huge fireball tear through the night. It landed right next to or maybe on the school a tenth of a mile to my right. We ended up spending the night in the bunker. The bunker was large enough for my friends and I to talk throughout the night.

The next day, school was cancelled. Us kids went anyway to see why. The answer was quite clear. The fireball was a German cruiser that crashed into half of the school after being shot down. We went as close as we were allowed. The ship was broken in two pieces. It was all charred and scarred with bullet holes. The Swastika was painted on the sides. The gun barrels were facing almost straight up. I looked at my foot and found an intact bullet. I tried to pick it up, and it must have weighed ten maybe fifteen pounds. The size was about a foot long and maybe six inches thick. Solid metal. You wouldn't want that coming at you at almost the speed of sound. Engraved on it was,"Fly With The Speed Of The Wind And The Strength Of The Riptide." Strange. Cool, but strange. I carefully tucked it under my shirt and went home. The school was the only thing that was really hit. I set the bullet under my bed. I never told anyone about it.