CHAPTER 22

We arrived in San Francisco to a horrible sight. The Golden Gate Bridge was destroyed. Skyscrapers were demolished and burned. Alcatraz was turned into a swarm of tanks and AA guns. A big part of the city was gone. A black and gray crater was all that remained. We landed at the ruins of the airport. The tower was collapsed, the hangers crushed, the runway riddled with bullet holes.

       I landed and started to offload my cargo. Glory was parked near one of the hangars. I asked to go into the city, but a medic said that survivors of the massive bomb had strange injuries. I walked up to who seemed to be in charge and asked him.

       "It seems Germany had been developing an 'Atomic Bomb' for some time. It was then transported to Japan and used against us. We don't know how many there are, but let's hope not much." He said.

       "And the bridge?"

       "Massive battleship crashed into it. Planes hit the buildings. Nobody knows if there might be another attack." He said flatly.

       I looked back to where the bridge was split in two. It almost seemed like a monster bit through it. The US had been hit badly. The allies were losing the war. Suddenly, the air raid sirens started. I looked out to sea to observe a large lone ship coming towards us. As it neared without doubt it was a Yamato class battleship.

       As it entered over the destroyed bridge, everyone waited to attack. No planes or ships were launched. It could be part of an ambush. As they passed over the city, papers fell from the ship. Hundreds of thousands of pages fell to the city below. Some even fell over the airfield. I picked it up and read it. No. No!

       "It's a threat saying 'The captains of Riptide and Deathbringer, as well as the ships, are wanted for destruction and capturing of Japanese ships, and murdering of the crews. In addition to this, all captured ships are required returned. Finally, one pilot of a silver B-24 is wanted for murder of 3,500 women and children aboard the Shinoku. All personnel are to be put on a white transport ship with ships and plane behind. You may keep two of these which we want. Keep the captured ships if you bring us Riptide. We recommend choosing wisely...' that's it?" Joey finished.

       We all slowly turned to look at Maggie.

       "You. You killed 3,000 people? Women and children?" Aaron said slowly.

       "I. I didn't know. We were told to attack the Shinoku, but I never knew who was on it. How could I know?" She said quickly.

      "They might be lying. Maybe they put those people onboard so if it was sunken, they could blame it on us." Michael said.

       "Who do we save?" Lucas asked. We all looked at each other. Lucas, Aaron and Joey were safe. That left Michael, Maggie, and I. And our ships and plane.

       "You and Glory stay." Michael said.

       "Me? And my plane? Are you crazy?" Maggie yelled.

       "He's right. You and your plane should stay. You're innocent." I said.

       "But we all are! We all are kids trapped by this war! You two stay!" She replied.

       "No. The decision is final. Just promise to remember us after this is all over. We will see each other again. I swear." Michael said.

       She was crying now, but she nodded and walked away. We helped paint a transport ship white and removed all of the ammunition from our ships. We were surrendering. I didn't know if we would be killed or be prisoners. But we would know soon enough.