CHAPTER 19

I kept the fighter on a steady course behind Glory. I couldn't afford to lose my friends. A BF-109 was in a dive straight for the plane. I pulled up and fired. They pulled away before I could hit them. I didn't want to ensue chase and leave my friends alone.

       "We're lucky this plane is repaired! Putting it through some pretty violent maneuvers!" Lucas yelled.

       "Good to hear you're okay. Go left!" I shouted.

        The plane banked and avoided a fighter shooting its wing. I opened fire on the plane that missed them. Another plane followed behind me. I pulled up hard and climbed. They followed close behind. I flew into some clouds and broke away. I did a quick loop and returned to helping my friends. I looked back to see the bombers starting to attack.

       "Go save the airfield! We can hold out!" Aaron yelled in the radio.

       "No! I can't leave you guys!" I replied.

       I looked up in the sky to see some of the ships hovering together. One was a carrier.

       "Go up there! They'll cover you!" I said.

       I pulled back and turned for the bombers. The closest one was to be my first target. I lined up behind them and fired. They caught on fire and started down. I moved on to my next target. Another plane down. And another. But there were more bombers than I could shoot down. Every bomb sounded like giant footsteps on the ground. A transmission came in over the radio.

       "All ships and planes listen up! You have been ordered to give up! I repeat! Give up and retreat! This is part of a massive invasion in Britain! All ships and planes are to go to Ireland and land in Dublin! That's an order!"

       "You can't expect us to just give up the country!" I said.

       "Listen! It's only until we can regroup forces and stage a counter attack!" Now follow the order!"

       I turned away from the bombers and decided if I couldn't attack, I could defend. I flew back to Glory to see how they were doing. They said they had recieved the order and were setting a course to Ireland. The planes behind us didn't follow. It seemed this was what they wanted. Us to retreat out of Britan and they could invade.

       "We'll be back for you, I swear. Can you hold out a little longer?" I said as I looked at the countryside below.

       The grassy plains and small towns slowly changed to beaches. Then to ocean. I made sure to follow the planes nearby for guidance. B-17s appeared ahead and behind. I realized I couldn't see my friends. I slowly pulled above the formation and spotted the plane. I descended to their left and waved to the plane. We flew through a wall of clouds and emerged to the island of Ireland. Ahead, the runway.