CHAPTER 3

A week later, I was given a number. 228. If they called that number, I was in the war. They would test me to see what I would be good at. That night, they announced that number on the TV.

"And the numbers that will be selected are: 99 to 599."

No! There was another announcement that we would be tested the next day.

The next day, I packed up what little I had. My notebooks and the bullet along with pencils and a pen. A large truck picked me up i waved goodbye to my family and i was off. The other kids drafted were: Michael, Joey, Lucas, Aaron, Abigail, and a bunch of other people I have no clue as to what their names are. At the air force base, we were evaluated to see what we could do.

"How are you with math?" The questioner asked.

"Very good. I am a grade above my class." I said.

"What could you build that would benefit the war?"

"I can show you this." I said, pulling out my sketch.

He looked at it for what felt like hours. He handed it back to me. He asked some more questions.

"What is your name again?"

"Nico."

"Nico. Please report back to your room. I will call you in shortly to speak with the general."

I walked out and back to my friends. It seemed that they were also put in the same area as me. Engineering. I pulled the bullet back out. I looked at the engraving again. Suddenly, I heard my name called. I put the bullet back in my bag and walked back to the testing room. I showed the person I believed to be the general the sketch.

"Hello Nico. I'm General Mark. I am completely blown away by your drawing."

"Thank you."

"The only thing that seems missing, is a name. That is correct, we would like to turn your sketch into a true battleship. What shall we call it?"

I remembered the sentence engraved on the bullet. Fly With The Speed Of The Wind And The Strength Of The- "Riptide." I said.

"Riptide. Strong name. I like it. How would you like to be the captain of your ship. The youngest captain in America." The general said.

I didn't hesitate a second.

"Yes!"