CHAPTER 25

One week later...

        I dug where the stolen canteen was hidden. It was under one of the beds, and contained almost a tenth of gunpowder. Not too shabby. We couldn't collect as many bullets as the first day. Next to it, bundled in a piece of cloth, was the gun. It was an Austra 400, magazine fed, German made pistol. With it, one clip and ten bullets. On Sundays, we had a day off. That was today. I looked out the window and to the harbor ahead. Warships took off and came from the direction of Hawaii. How could we have let Hawaii fall to Japan?

       Then an air raid siren started. Then another. And another. In the hallway, guards ran outside and to anti-aircraft guns. Over the harbor, formations of bombers flew overhead. They were our planes. Fighters dove down and attacked transport ships docked. Even from down here, I saw a silver plane leading the attack. Then there was a falling blanket of bombs heading for the shipyard and city ahead. We had been taken to Tokyo, and now the outskirts were pummeled by bombs.

       After the first wave, ships followed in and attacked the ships trying to take off. No bombs came near the prison, but the ground shook with every impact.

       Nearly five minutes had passed, and our forces were heading out to sea again. It must have been hard to make it past Hawaii, let alone get here.

       But it was good knowing we had a silver angel in the sky, looking out for us. If the allies weren't giving up, and these attacks continued, we could use them to our advantage. Even if we stay here until this war is over, I will see my friends again. Until then, we just need to get supplies for our escape. Once we're out, we can take a ship to the states.

       All we need is time, and luck.