CHAPTER 18

January 3rd, 11:00 hours.

       The gang was all here, our mission was set, the ships were refueled. We were in New York about to take off for Britain. Glory and the other planes would have the luxury of traveling by carrier. We would dock there and do ground training. I was confused on why we would need to learn this, but apparently it was standard training. Even Maggie had to learn. It was basically which tactics to use with which guns. I had an M1911 Colt given to all captains, but I had only fired it once. I was going to learn about more than that soon.

       We arrived the next day and started training immediately. We were given M14s and taught how to travel under barbed wire. Other weapons included snipers and machine guns. Two weeks passed by quickly.

       Just kidding! It was torture. Crazy commanders and my gun jamming every other shot was not a fun way to spend fourteen days of my life. The last day was when the siren started.

       Michael, Joey, Aaron, Maggie, Lucas, and I were relaxing in the barracks when the air raid sirens started. We ran out to see hundreds of planes and a dozen ships moving in. They all had the German symbol painted on them. I looked and saw Riptide and Deathbringer lifting off.

       "The crews are taking the ships without us!" Michael yelled.

       "Hurry! Follow me!" Maggie said.

       We all ran behind her to where Glory was sitting on the tarmac. I saw an unmodified P-51 Mustang sitting close by. I thought back to my training.

       "You guys go! I'll provide some cover!" I yelled.

       I jumped in the cockpit and started the plane up. The problem was, the windshield was angled so that you couldn't see straight ahead while taxiing. There is usually a person that sits on the wing and guides you, but no one around seemed like helping. I left the canopy open and stood up while driving. I saw Glory speeding forward on the runway. I lined up the plane and closed the canopy. I put my oxygen mask on and gunned the throttle. The machine guns on Glory opened fire on BF-109s moving in. I attacked one on their tail. I pulled up to get on a fighter's flank. There were some Spitfires and other P-51s, but not enough to outgun the enemies. Bombers started to move towards the base. I looked at the plane with my friends and the enemy bombers. Which should I protect? The airstrip or the plane?