Chapter 17

A/N Pic of Baby River :)

I hold River close to my chest, leaving a gentle kiss on his tiny forehead.

"He looks a lot like you." Steven says laying beside me, our legs entwined.

"He looks like you too, babe."

River has Steven's dark brown hair and my blue eyes. He's a bit small, but thankfully he's healthy.

"Can I hold him?" Steven asks.

"Of course. He's our baby, Stevey." I gently hand him River, our little bundle of joy wiggling a bit as he positions himself comfortably in Steven's arms.

"He's perfect." He says, tears slipping down his cheeks. Steven leaves a small kiss on River's small forehead. "I love you, River."

River open his eyes; looking up at Steven with total admiration in them.

"I love you," I speak through silently forming tears, my heart beating at a pace peaceful to me and my family alike.

"We love you so much, Baby boy." Steven says, his arms wrapped around me and mine filled by our bundle of joy. Our beautiful baby River.

***

"Heyo, fuckers." Rony announces entering the hospital room.

"Shut up. River just got to sleep." Steven hisses, looking into the little bed to assure our son is still in a deep sleep.

"How's my baby doing?" Mom comes to my side, giving me a brief hug before kissing my cheek.

"I'm doing great, Mommy. A little tired, but overall happy." I give her a half smile before I yawn.

"You should get some sleep, babe." Steven says.

"No, I'm fine." I respond.

Steven looks to me worried, but I give him a smile indicating there is nothing for him to worry about.

"Steven," I look at the door the same time Steven does; a man standing there in a pencil lead suit.

"Hi, Dad." Steven responds, standing up from the hospital chair to greet his father properly.

"Can we speak in private?" Mister Harris asks.

"Well, I'm sort of busy. Can it wait, until Colin is discharged." Steven responds, a cold stare along with his words.

"No, I don't think it can wait, Steven."

"Fine." Steven walks out, his father directly behind him.

I stare at the doorway, worry clear to everyone in the room.

"I'll make sure everything is okay." Rony offers.

"Thank you, Rony." I swallow down the strain.

"No sweat." He says before exiting the room to catch up with my boyfriend.

Suddenly, a high pitched whine breaks through the emotionless silence of the room.

"Mom, could you hand him to me?" She does not hesitate to lift my baby and bring him over to me. "Thank you."

Mom hands me a bottle and I offer it to River; the little one making grabby hands at the sight of it.

"Here you go, River." I sigh, allowing his tiny hands to just barely grasp the bottle.

While I feed River, Rony and Steven reenter the room and Steven doesn't look okay.

"Steven, is everything alright?" I ask.

He looks at me, his eyes rimmed red.

"Could you guys give us a moment?" I ask. They all exit the room, leaving Steven, River, and I.

"Colin, my mom is back." Steven says, choking on each of his words.

"What?"

"That crazy bitch is back." He groans, burying his face in his palms.

"Steve , why are you so upset?" Steven has never really talked about his mother. The fact he's saying anything about her now is surprising.

"Colin, she hates gays. It's why I came to live with my Father. When I became fifteen, I came out as bi and she, she, Fuck!" He breaks down, his body shuddering as he sobs uncontrollably.

"Steven," I run my hand up and down his back as he cries into my lap; his whole body shaking as tears continue to flow.

We stay like this until Steven falls asleep with dry tears along his cheeks.

***

"Home sweet home." Steven says, easing into the house with River in his car seat on his arm.

River is a week old. We had to stay at the hospital a bit longer because the doctors wanted to be sure River was one hundred percent healthy. Being a month premature they just wanted to be safe.

"Babe, are you hungry?" Steven asks, resting a sleeping River on the couch with a blue Teddy bear and his white and pink blanket.

"Yeah, thank you."

Steven has been a bit better since his breakdown. But he hasn't said anything about his mother since. He's keeping it all hidden, but I intend to uncover it all tonight.

***

"He's sleeping," Steven says, resting our son down into his crib before he joins me in our own bed.

"Steven, we need to talk." I say.

"About?" He responds.

"What did your mother do to you?"

"Colin,"

"No, Steven. If there is even a small chance that River could be in danger I need to know." I take his hand into mine, squeezing it firmly as I stare deep into his eyes.

"When I came out, she tried to "cleanse" me. She'd occasionally pour scalding water down my back until my skin was red and raw to the touch. But once her "techniques" didn't work, she started bringing men home. And every night, one by one, she'd bring them to my room and," Steven stops speaking, tears falling down his cheeks furiously as hurt and despair cross his face. "A-a-and they raped me. Those fucking bastards raped me every fucking night for two years until I decided to call my Dad and arrange for me to move into his house."

"Oh my god." I pull my boyfriend into a hug, his arms latching around me as he sobs. "It's okay, Babe. She can't hurt you anymore, Steven."

"It's not me I'm worried about. Dad says she found out about River. I can't risk her getting anywhere near you or our baby. So after tonight, you two are moving into your parents' house."

"What? Steven, no. I'm not leaving you to face this alone." I look into his eyes, my own full of tears.

"Please, Colin? I can't let you two get hurt. I won't be able to live with myself if you two got hurt because of that crazy bitch."

I don't answer. I just hold him close and bury my face into the crook of his neck.