04.

Around the dinner table, Uncle Owen and Aunt Beru sit on opposite heads of the table. Luke is last to the table.

"You know I think that little R2 unit might've been stolen?" Luke leads in with. He says it like he's surprised, but he isn't. Almost everything on Tatooine thats sold has been stolen at least twice before. But he surely can't lead with 'I think it was my fathers.'

"What makes you think that?" Owen Lars, crooked his head. He's much older now, the Tatooine sun has been harsh on his skin and the market place and raising a child has surely been stressful on his aches. Together he looks much older, almost unrecognizable to when his step-brother knew him.

"Well, I stumbled across an old recording when I was cleaning him." Luke began, "He said he belonged to someone named Anakin Skywalker. I've never seen so much devotion in a droid before." By their faces he could tell this was uncharted territory, but he proceeded, "Thought he might've meant old Anakin Starkiller. You know, the guy who used to come by when I was little to help us pick the mushrooms on the evaporators? Do either of you know who he's talking about?"

"That hermit is just a crazy old man." Uncle Owen shunned the conversation, "Tomorrow morning then, I want you to go in there and have it's memory erased, and that'll be the end of it. We don't need any trouble. Then forget it."

"Well, what if this Anakin comes looking for him?" Luke asked, pouring some blue milk.

"He won't. I don't think he exists anymore. He died about the same time as your mother." Uncle Owen said, the last part mainly to himself. The moment after he said it he regretted it.

"He knew my mother?" Luke jumped at the oppertunity to ask about his parents, "This Anakin Skywalker, he's my father isn't he? Why don't you want me to know his name?"

"I told you, to forget it." Uncle Owen shut him down. If looks could kill, Luke would be dead on every level. Luke would've pressed further, but he knew there would be consequences if he did. He was always good at feeling the dangerous topics, it's the only thing that stops him from his constant thirst for knowledge. Luke asking about his parents was too difficult of a subject to tread on.

Uncle Owen hated housing Luke. He loved Luke, he was his son. Every day he regretted promising his step brother that he'd let Luke keep his last name. Because he thought of Luke as his own. But there have been days when stormtroopers visit looking for someone, and he's always so scared that they're looking for Luke, that they'll take him away. And if he goes in the academy he'll surely be found and then what? He'll be in constant danger. He'll be used for his power just like his parents were. Or if he finds out what happened to his parents, Luke will get too excited on his own and want to become a Jedi. He'll want to join his reckless father on some crazy journey and never come home. No, he couldn't tell Luke about his parents.

"The only concern should be to prepare those new droids for tomorrow." Owen continued, "In the morning I want them out there working on those dew collectors."

Luke took this in, and with a sigh he let go of his attempts to learn about his family. As long as he had something that could possibly have been from his father, maybe he could ask the droid some questions about him.

"I think those new droids are going to work out just fine." Luke told his Uncle, buttering him up for a suggestion he knows he shouldn't suggest, "And, uh, I've also been thinking about our agreement, about me staying on another season? And if these droids do work out I want to submit my application to the academy this year." Luke asks, he can feel his palms sweating in anticipation of the answer.

"You mean the next semester before the harvest?" Uncle Owen furrowed his brows in confusion, trying to hide his fear of Luke going where it might not be safe for him.

"Well, sure, there's more than enough droids!" Luke talks quickly and looks back and forth between his Aunt and Uncle, looking for some kind of support.

He wants to get off this planet. He doesn't even particularly like the Empire, in fact he hates it. If he had the option to join the Rebellion he'd do it in a heart beat. But if this was his only option to get off this dry, miserable, piece of garbage he'd take it. He loves his guardians, but the farm life isn't for him.

"But the harvest season is when I need you the most." Owen looked at Luke, chewing on his food. "Only one season more, this year we'll make enough from the harvest that I'll be able to hire some more hands and you can go into the academy next year. You must understand I need you here, Luke."

Owen offered a convincing argument, but it was one that Luke had heard before and too often. Luke began to get the feeling he'd never hear a different answer. Someone at a Cantina once told him that the definition of insanity was doing the same thing over, and over again, and getting the same result. Was this it? Was Luke going insane? Surely he was asking the same thing over and over again and getting the same result. This wasn't his life. He wanted something so much more than this. He craved adventure, much like his parents before him.

"But that's a whole other year?" Luke stressed, he started to think his Uncle was trying to wait until he out aged the level of entry.

"It's only one more season." Beru tried to lighten the mood of her dinner.

"Yeah.. That's what you said last year." Luke stood up, suddenly not really feeling like eating a "family" dinner.

"Where are you going?" Beru asked, worried for her nephew. She didn't want him to be upset at them.

"Looks like I'm not going anywhere." Luke rolled his eyes, "I have to finish cleaning those droids."

"Owen, you know he can't stay here forever. Most of his friends have gone." Beru told her husband after Luke left the table, "It means so much to him."

"I'll make it up to him next year, I promise." Owen promised his wife. She laughed at that, Owen didn't understand. He thinks he can change Luke's mind about farming the same way his father changed his. But Luke wasn't his son, not really, he didn't have his genes.

"Luke's not a farmer, Owen." Beru told him, "He has too much of his mother in him."

"I know, that's what I'm afraid of." Owen says, thinking of the massacre that happened 19 years ago, and all the ones that still happen because of his mother.

It doesn't change the fact that Luke has stomped away from them. He's left the house to stare up at the sky, the place he wishes he could be. He wondered if his parents ever loved flying as much as he did. He only knew that his mother was a navigator on a spice freighter, and his father was a ship engineer. He wishes he knew them. He wished he knew their story. He wished he had so many things. But more than anything he wished for freedom.

Luke knew, of course, he wasn't actually imprisoned. But he also felt this farm was a weight that held tightly around his ankle. Sometimes he really felt like the information about his parents, or going to the academy might be the key to unlocking it.

He loved this spot, just outside the home. It felt calm. He never thought about why it calmed him so much, he didn't know it was the place where his parents had once stood in. When they were new to their love and both of them were full of light, but full of confusion. Where they parted ways after the most loving embrace. He felt it, if he closed his eyes he felt the love radiate off of that spot, but he'll never know why.