Chapter 9

I settled into my life with Margaret with virtually no memory of how I came to live with her. I forgot all about Elayna, my mother and father, Michael, Victor. It was as if my life began at 12 years old and I was blissfully unaware of all the tragedies and all the horrors that had taken place. I had no idea how I had gotten to where I was and for some reason it didn't seem to matter.

Margaret was very generous, insisting I had been through too much and tried to make my life as carefree and uncomplicated as possible. She told me my parents had died in a car crash and I was with them when it happened. It never occurred to me to doubt her because no matter how hard I struggled and strived I didn't remember them at all. My long-term memories were lost after the crash and the doctor's determined that the head trauma I had gotten during the accident was likely to blame.

When she learned that my parents had passed away Margaret offered to take care of me. She was my closest relative as far as I knew and had no children of her own. Though I didn't remember making the choice or how she arranged it, it seemed perfectly natural that I found myself living with her.

We grew close and I trusted her completely. I told her just about everything and never felt anything but love for her and from her. It wasn't until I was nearly 17 and in my junior year of high school that I began to question what my life may have been like before I lost my parents. It happened just before my spring break ended and I did one of the first deceitful things I ever remembered doing to Margaret. It was like a catalyst and the life we built together slowly unraveled.

I slept late and after lounging in bed for a few extra minutes I finally got up and opened my bedroom door. Kaley jumped to her feet as soon as she saw me and assaulted me with her demands for hugs and kisses.

"Good morning, baby," I cooed, reaching down to rub her back and scratch her ears. Though her fur looked wiry and unkempt, it was quite soft to the touch. She licked my face with her happy tongue and followed me when I stood up and trudged toward my bathroom. As I stepped through the doorway, she tried to charge in with me.

"Uh, uh! You know the rules," I chided.

I shooed her into the hallway and told her to sit. She did, somewhat grudgingly, then thought better of it and plopped down on her belly. She put her head on her paws and looked up at me with a confused, devoted expression as I closed the door.

"I'll be back in a minute," I assured her.

She was exactly as I left her when I opened the door but bounded to attention and together we made our way to the top of the stairs. Kaley ran ahead of me when we got there and bunny-hopped down to the foyer. I shook my head and smiled as I watched her plunge. I couldn't imagine how she got her massive hind legs to bounce in unison as she raced toward the front door without taking a tumble.

I followed in Kaley's wake and when I got close to the landing, I smelled bacon frying and something sweet and citrusy mingling with the scent.

"Good morning, Aunt Margaret," I called as I rounded the stairs and strolled into the kitchen.

"Oh, good morning, Lily. I thought you'd never get up. What time is it anyway?"

I looked at the clock and saw it was after 10 am, "Sorry I slept so late; is there anything I can help with?"

"No, I'm just about finished here." Then she added with a touch of concern, "Are you feeling alright? You're not coming down with anything are you?"

"Nope. I'm fine," I assured her as Margaret pulled a tray of scones from the oven.

She placed it on a cooling rack beside a bowl of fresh fruit. I pulled up a stool and plucked a handful of grapes.

"I'll get you a plate," Margaret smiled as I popped them in my mouth one at a time.