Chapter 14

"You can't be serious?!" I couldn't keep the anger from my voice. It was Friday, the night before our Spring Formal. I looked at Danielle, Charlie and Zach each in turn. We had all gone out for a bite to eat; a treat from Dani to wish me a belated Happy Birthday. Little did I know there was more than one motive. My friends wanted to get me somewhere public so I wouldn't explode at any one of them if they approached me privately.

Jake and Brooke had gotten back together and they were breaking it to me as a group.

"He wanted us to tell you he's taking Brooke to the formal," Zach mumbled and looked away while the others eyed me warily.

I sat there shaking my head in disbelief while his words washed over me. As if that wasn't enough, they added insult to injury and said Jake planned to take her in our limo.

"What?! There's no way..."

"He said his mom helped pay," Charlie interjected.

"Oh, Charlie! You're not suggesting... It's, it's," I fought to find the right word, "it's heinous!!"

"I'm sorry." Danielle mumbled. She tried offering her reassurance, "I can just imagine how upset you are but it's the Spring Formal, we'll still have a great time. There will plenty of people going stag and you'll have your pick of the litter."

"Pick of the litter, huh? From a litter of leftovers who couldn't otherwise find a date! I can't believe this is happening."

Zach hung his head guiltily and even though he was friends with Jake said he knew this was totally not cool.

"How can..." I took a deep breath remembering myself and lowered my voice, "if this were any of you I would stand up for you! You need to tell him... he can't do this! Tell him we'll give him his money back and he can get his own damn limo!"

"We tried that," Charlie said.

"We did," Dani added, "but he said he already called a few places and they're all booked because it's prom season."

"So what am I supposed to do? Do you really expect me to ride with all you happy couples while I sulk in the corner of the car? By myself! With my ex-date! And his new date! She'll be smiling and laughing the whole way."

"It won't be like that," Danielle promised.

"No! I can't do it. I won't..." I bit my lip and buried my face in my hands.

"Oh, please don't say you're not going. That's just what Brooke wants. Can't you see? I'm sure that's why she waited until the last minute to patch things up with Jake," Dani seized my hand and pleaded with me not to back out. "And your dress; you're going to look amazing! What better way to get through the night than looking your best and killing them with kindness?"

Charlie nodded his agreement, Zach looked thoughtful and Danielle seemed downright dejected at the thought of me not going.

It seemed impossible to keep my resolve under the weight of all their stares. "Alright, alright," I sighed. "Good, God! This will be the crappiest night ever!"

Danielle leapt up and hugged me. Charlie and Zach both looked relieved, "No! We'll get you through it, I promise."

We finished our meals in silence as we contemplated how it would all turn out. We each had different scenarios playing in our minds but no one dared offer them. A few minutes later we paid the check and waited outside for Dani's mom to pick us up and take us home.

Kaley sensed my mood as soon as I stepped through the doorway and cuddled me while I took my coat and shoes off. Margaret looked up from where she was sitting in the family room. "Is everything alright, dear?"