Twenty-One

I felt tired to the bone

  It wasn't the post-Physical Education tiredness, or even the heavy-eyed drowsiness you felt after a long day.

Instead, it was almost dream-like. It felt like I was somewhere suspend between wakefulness and sleep. A part of me awaken by the world around me while the other still sat away in darkness.

The sound of chatter found its way into my ears. I popped my head up instantly regretting it once the morning rays hit my irises making me hiss at the burning sensation. I placed my hand over my head covering myself from the blinding light. Squinting out the window I realized the once dark, star filled sky had vanished and was replaced with prominent white clouds, and the harsh sun lit it up.

     " Gracias."

Turning towards the familiar voice I saw Dean. He stood outside the car with a man who was clearly of Hispanic heritage. They both seemed to be talking, in Spanish of course, until Dean broke his glance from the middle age man and turned to flash me with one his rare genuine smiles, one of those grins that made his face look infinitely softer. That grin reminded me of what happened last night, goose bumps erupted on my skin. I smiled back at him, feeling warmth spread through me, starting at the spot where his skin touched mine.

   After a couple minutes the Hispanic man and Dean say their goodbyes, and he gets in his red truck and drives away. Dean enters the car, his lips cracked into a smile.

            " Morning sleepy head.", He spoke in a baby-like voice as he tapped my nose making it crinkle.

           "It's morning ?", I felt a yank overpower me as I wipe the sleep from my eyes. " Tell me we did not fall asleep in this car for the whole entire night."

          Dean let out a soft chuckle, "You feel asleep. I stayed up all night trying to find some help for my car.", Dean inserted the keys into the keyhole and twisted. The car engine roared aloud as if it haven't been crunk in years. "Thanks to Eddie, the man back there. He fixed my car right back up with no problem."

     I listen to Dean, as I searched around for my flannel that I tossed off last night. It was in the back seat, sitting on top of some of Dean's other belongings. I reach and got it and tossed it over my shoulder as Dean made a u-turn.

So much for that bonfire. I bet it was fun too. I wonder what Gerica, Sky and Namii were thinking when I didn't show up ? They probably didn't even notice.

   " And about last night."

  I froze, my breath catching in my throat as I tried to think of something-anything- to say to him. How did these type of things work ? Was I supposed to brush off the fact that I let Dean finger me last night? How was I supposed to categorize the situation?