[8] healing

-

- Sky's POV

-

Sky watched as Max released the arrow.

Sky was certain the arrow would hit Tim's face, because that was where Max had aimed it.

Tim only smirked and disappeared in a puff of black smoke.

Max threw his bow on the ground and cursed.

Jin raised his eyebrows. "From what Lord Aphmau said, you and Tim were friends. What happened to that?"

Max sighed. "He was my friend. The day I got my powers, he disappeared. When I was traveling to the woods, before I found Ross, he approached me. He said he hated me, because I had gotten powers as a Seven and he didn't. Lord Aphmau had already turned him. Any worker of the Evil is no friend of mine."

If Sky was still a guard, he would have thought of recruiting Max.

Nick ran up to them. "Guys! Lord Aphmau, Shelby, and Okward are still fighting!"

"Shelby's fighting Lord Aphmau?" Jin said incredulously.

"From what I saw when she cut down my arrow, I'd say she has the skill," Max said.

"What are we waiting for? We've got to go help them!" Sky raised his sword. He was getting ready to charge at Lord Aphmau when Nick held him back.

"No, Sky," he shouted. "Ross and Cory need you and Jin, now."

"What about me?" Max asked.

Nick's face was emotionless as he said, "Fire isn't really a healing power."

Sky studied Nick for a moment when it hit him. Nick was with Cory at the orphanage. Except Nick wasn't as aggressive as Cory.

Jin broke the silence. "How can we help? What happened to them?"

"Ross sprained his ankle and Cory got stabbed in the arm by Lord Aphmau's sword," Nick said. "But it wasn't like a regular sword wound."

"How isn't it a regular sword wound?" Sky asked.

"Well, it's turning black, and it's steaming. I don't think that's a good thing." Nick looked worried for his friend.

Sky paled as he recognized the symptoms. "That's definitely not a good thing."

He and Jin rushed off in the direction where the yelling was the loudest.

Sky weaved through trees, leapt over fallen logs, and ducked under branches. Jin wasn't as agile as Sky, but he was able to keep up.

They made it to the battle. Lord Aphmau was dueling against Shelby and Okward. Cory was lying on the ground, and Ross was desperately trying to help Cory.

Sky and Jin rushed over to the fallen member of the Seven.

Jin's mouth dropped open as he saw the hideous wound on Cory's right arm. "Oh, my Lord."

Cory grimaced and grit his teeth. "Bad, isn't it?"

Sky got over his shock and started taking control. "Jin, find some sort of healing spell. Cory, I know it hurts, but if you can do this, then it'll hurt a lot less."

Cory squeezed his eyes shut. "What do you need me to do?"

Sky gently lifted Cory's arm up. "I need you to focus on something extracting from the wound. Like, you see how it's turning black? Imagine the black being sucked out and turning back into your regular skin color."

Cory nodded, his face paling. Sky was freaking out on the inside. If Cory was in this much pain, then Lord Aphmau's sword was something seriously deadly. Either that, or Cory had a low pain tolerance. Though, Sky was pretty sure it wasn't the latter.

Cory lifted his good arm weakly. Slowly, the black seeped out, but only a little at a time. After a minute, Cory collapsed.

"Can't," he panted. "Too... weak..."

Sky studied the wound. "It's okay. Just... hang in there until Okward can come over, or until Jin can find a spell."

Sky thought of what to do. He had been faced with the problem of the wounded before, back in his days as a guard. He remembered a soldier had been impaled by a javelin, and he was dying, slowly but surely. Sky had gripped his hand and told him about his surroundings. The rosy pink of the sky, the forest green of the trees, and the dimming yellow of the setting sun.

He thought of what his comrades would think to see he was trying desperately to save a wanted thief with a 1000 gold reward for his capture.

Sky copied what he did with the dying soldier, except this time, he would make sure Cory wouldn't die. "Cory, focus on my voice. I know it hurts, I know you're tired. Jin's almost found a healing spell, right?"

Jin nodded, still furiously flipping through the pages of his spell book. His eyes widened. "I found one specifically for wounds like Cory's. I can cast the spell, but the most it'll do is slow the poison down."

"Poison?" Cory groaned.

"Yes, Cory, poison," Sky said.

"Great," Cory muttered. "I jump in front of Shelby and try to knife down the stupid Lord and I got poisoned. Just great."

"Continuing," Jin said. "We're going to have to make a potion. The potion is our best bet. After Cory drinks the potion, it'll take about a week for him to fully recover."

"A week?" Cory asked. "I don't have the patience to wait for a week!"

"Too bad, Camera Man," Jin said. "You'll have to find the patience unless we can find a better solution."

"Just cast the spell already," Cory sighed.

Jin pointed his wand at Cory's wound and muttered under his breath. The wound glowed and the same purple moons that surrounded Jin when he got his powers spiraled around Cory's forearm.

Jin's face turned white as the spell completed. "Wow, I wasn't expecting that to take much out of me."

"What do you mean by that?" Sky asked.

"I read the book before we went into battle. To cast spells, I use something called mana. Imagine it like the spell is the bow, and the mana is the arrow. When you run out of arrows, or mana, then the bow, or the spell, is useless. I draw mana out of my life force. If I overexert myself, I could die, or be stuck in a coma," Jin explained.

Cory groaned. "My arm is feeling much better, but it's still steaming. I guess we have to find that potion?"

"Yeah," Sky said. "Jin, I know you just used a powerful spell, but do you think you could summon a few bandages?"

Jin nodded. He walked over to a tree and pointed his wand at it. The leaves morphed into a green bandage. Jin grabbed the bandage and tossed it to Sky. Sky handed it to Ross. "Wrap the wound up, make sure it's tight to stop the bloodflow, but not so it cuts off the circulation in his arm."

Ross nodded, still disabled from his ankle.

Sky turned to Jin. "Jin, watch over them, make sure they don't get ambushed."

"What are you going to do, Sky?" Jin asked.

Sky raised his sword. "I'm going to take down Lord Aphmau."

»»--------¤--------««

Hey guys, Phoenix Girl here! Thank you for reading this chapter of The Evil! I hope you enjoyed, and make sure to go check out @FizzySoda_ 's story, Sevens! This story is based off of that one, so go check it out!

Thanks, and make sure to vote, comment, or follow if I made you smile or laugh or you just feel like it.

Peace out!

- Phoenix