[32] prepare for war

(Above): The armor the Seven were given. Imagine it for boys as well. This is kind of what Shelby would wear.

In case you noticed, I changed the way I titled the chapters, because using Roman numerals are pretty hard! I also changed the format of all the chapters. I apologize ahead of time for blowing up your notification centers. (I recommend looking back at previous chapters, because I gave them all their own title!) -3-

-

-

-

- Cory's POV -

-

Cory yawned, waking up from the bunk he shared with Nick. They had battled for who got the top bunk, and, of course, Cory had won by reading Nick like an open book.

Yesterday...

"Three, two, one... GO!" Max, who was their judge, shouted.

They ran up to each other, Cory's face a mask of pure determination. Nick's expression mirrored his, as they raised their fists.

"Ready?" Nick growled.

"As ready as I'll ever be," Cory smirked.

"Alright then," Nick said. "Prepare to lose!"

"Rock, paper, scissors!" they chanted. (The hype was real.)

Tie.

"Rock, paper, scissors!" they repeated.

Tie again.

Cory knew what move Nick was going to use next.

"Rock, paper, scissors!" they chanted.

Nick's paper was cut clean in half by Cory's scissors!

"I win!" Cory screamed, drawing some weird looks from the refugees.

"Fine," Nick pouted. "You get the top bunk."

"WOO HOO!" Cory shouted, swiftly climbing up the ladder and plopping face-first into the bed. "Good night."

Cory yawned again, stretching. He called out, "Nick, you awake? We need to go down to the armory and weapons room."

Nick groaned from below him. "Ugh, fine."

They slowly got out of bed. Cory decided it would be fun to jump off the top bunk, effectively scaring Nick and getting some explicit words out of him.

Then Cory decided it would be a good idea to scare Max and Ross, who were sleeping in the other bunk bed (with Ross on top), awake.

So Nick attempted to wake up Max, who responded by kicking Nick where it hurt.

Cory attempted to wake up Ross, who responded by shooting up and taking in a deep breath (through his nose) and then punching Cory in the chest, causing him to fall off the top bunk.

Ross grinned sheepishly. "Sorry, you startled me."

"Seriously?" Cory grumbled, getting up from his painful position on the floor. "That's your reaction to someone scaring you?"

"Yeah." Ross scratched the back of his head.

"Whatever," Cory said. "We need to go down to the armory now. You guys coming?"

Max, who apparently was half-awake, mumbled, "Sure..."

Ross climbed down the ladder. They waited for Max to get up, then traveled down to the armory, where the rest of the Seven were waiting for them.