[23] struggle

-

- Shelby's POV -

-

Shelby and Cory were fighting Preston.

That backstabbing, no-good, son of a--

Okay, Shelby, she thought. Keep it PG.

Shelby slashed with her sword. Preston answered by catching it with one of his. Cory dashed around, slicing with his knife, but every time, Preston miraculously intercepted the attack with his sword.

They were doing fine until a scream cut the through the air.

Shelby looked around for a split second. Ross was on the floor, staring in shock at Max, who was lying next to him, clutching his shoulder. An arrow stuck out of it, green potion effects swirling around it.

Shelby put her attention back on the fight. "Cory!" she yelled.

"What?" Cory blocked Preston's attack.

"Max is hurt! There's an arrow in his shoulder, and there are green potion effects around it!" she cried.

Cory cursed. "It's a poison arrow! They're new, and deadly! Go heal him! I'll be fine."

Cory blocked another attack. "Go!"

Shelby swung her sword one more time, before lowering it and running towards Max. She dodged the Seven of Magic's spell, sprinted past Sky and the one in the checkered hoodie (God, naming people anonymously is so annoying), leapt over a body (she hoped it wasn't one of her friends), and slammed her body into the guy with the hammer, knocking him down, before jumping away and running off.

She reached Ross and Max. "Ross!" she screeched. "GET UP!"

Ross blinked, as if coming out of a daze, and leapt to his feet. An arrow landed where Ross's head used to be.

Shelby looked up and narrowed her eyes. The archer was still firing arrows at them. "Ross, keep him busy," she said, desummoning her sword.

Ross grabbed his whip. "Sure thing."

Shelby watched as Ross ran off towards the archer. She grimaced, grasping the arrow in Max's shoulder. "Sorry, Max, this is going to hurt."

Max winced. "I thought you might say something like that."

Shelby closed her eyes and yanked out the arrow. A shriek escaped Max's lips, but a split second later, he closed his mouth and squeezed his eyes shut.

Shelby placed her hands over his wound. A pink glow surrounded them and filled the room. The potion effects disappeared and the wound closed.

She fell to the ground, suddenly dizzy and light-headed.

Max sat up. He looked over. "Thanks. You okay?"

Shelby nodded slowly. "Yeah. To be honest, I'm surprised I didn't pass out."

Max stood up. He offered a hand. "Good thing you didn't. We need you on the battlefield."

Shelby smirked. "Aw, the boys need help from a girl like me?"

"Hey, we need your skills, not your high-pitched voice," Max snorted.

"Rude," she muttered.

"Whatever." Max summoned his bow. He drew it back and released. The archer ducked and rolled away from the fiery arrow.

"Impressive," someone said.

Lord Aphmau was standing behind them, wielding her sword.

"You!" Max snarled, drawing back his bow.

"What did you do with Okward?" Shelby demanded.

"The guy had it coming." She smirked. "He's with an old friend now. They had their tearful reunion, but now they're both going to die. Once we have no use for them. Or they could be sacrificed for our studies. Who knows? Unless you willingly turn yourselves in, then I'll turn Okward in to the Evil. It's your choice. Give up, Seven of Love. And we'll let you walk out of here alive."

Shelby turned towards Max desperately. "Max..."

"Shelby," Max said, his voice taking on a wary tone. "What are you doing?"

"We could get Okward back," Shelby said. "Tearful reunion. Max, Aphmau means Joel. We could get him and Okward. I just have to..."

Max stepped forward and snapped his fingers. "Shelby. Snap. Out of it. You are not going to go with her."

"But--"

"Shelby, what about Cory?" Max asked.

Shelby blinked. Cory... Cory would die if she went with Aphmau.

"What about Ross?"

Ross would be lost. No one else knows about his monophobia.

"Your parents?"

Her parents would be devastated.

"The whole entire kingdom?"

They would die.

"Shelby, you can't go with them."

Shelby shook herself out of her trance. "Thanks Max."

"No problem." Max looked at Aphmau and glared at the evil Lord.

"So," Aphmau mused, "you managed to shake off my magic. Impressive."

"The power of love, Aph~moo," Max smirked.

"Of course," she snarled. "Love always prevails. Gives you your 'happy ending.' Well, that's what I'm here for. If you won't come willingly, then I'll have to take you by force. COME HERE!"

Lord Aphmau swung her sword. Shelby leapt away, summoning her own sword. Max fired arrows at Aphmau.

They stayed in combat for a while, until Aphmau slammed the flat of her blade onto Max's head. Max crumpled to the floor.

"MAX!" Shelby screamed.

»»--------¤--------««

I love how I'm putting the two characters that people ship with Shelby in life-threatening situations.