[41] promise

Uh oh. Well, those of you who saw the spoilers, you can blab all you want now! 

-

-

-

- Cory's POV -

-

Cory blinked the sleep out of his eyes. He groaned. 

"He's awake," someone said.

Cory looked at his leg. It was fully healed. He felt confused. "Am I dead?"

"Thankfully, you're not, Cory."

Cory looked over. Nick was sitting by him. He looked worried. 

Well, duh, Cory thought, I almost died.

But that didn't look like the case.

"What happened?" Cory asked.

Nick looked over at a small group that was standing across from them. "I think we should tell you at the meeting, Cory."

"Why?" Cory felt confused.

Nick looked back at him. "You'll see."

"Okay," Cory said slowly. "So we're having another war counsel?"

Nick seemed to transform into a completely different person. The Nick Cory had met that day in the orphanage. His best friend. Not a teenager who was facing things no sixteen-year-old should face. "Yep! The scientists made a hologram for us to call them on when the battle was over! We're going to discuss a few things." His expression changed again. "Please don't freak out at the meeting, okay, Cory?"

"Um, sure," Cory said. "But why--"

"Hush, child!" Nick raised a finger to his lips. "You will find out soon enough."

***

They were sitting around a table they had found in the mess. Pat was standing at the head of the table. Cory saw many familiar faces.

Nathan, Sierra, Ember, and Jamie looked tired, their armor worn and dirty. They weren't wearing their helmets, which showed Cory their tired faces. Nathan had a scratch on his cheek, but other than that, he looked fine. Ember looked like she was about to fall asleep. Sierra flashed Cory a supportive, albeit tired, smile when she saw him looking at her. Jamie gave him a thumbs-up.

Cathy and Yurie looked like they had been crying. Of course. Willow was probably their best friend. The refugees had never been a battle before, so Willow was probably the first friend they had ever seen die.

The Pack was talking and laughing with each other, kind of just playing around. (BANTER!)

Okward, Lizzie, and Joel were talking quietly to each other. Lizzie and Joel looked much happier to be with each other.

Then he saw them. Aphmau and Barney. He sent a glare in their direction, but they ignored him. Cory summoned his knife under the table, just in case.

He scanned the table for Shelby, but he couldn't find her anywhere. Probably still recovering, Cory thought.

Then he remembered a pink glow. If she's still recovering, then what was that? 

Cory was still wondering where his girlfriend had went when Pat cleared his throat. Everybody turned to look in his direction.