[9] pain and love

-

- Cory's POV -

-

Cory had never felt so much pain in his life. 

When Lord Aphmau brought her sword down onto his arm, he thought he would be fine with just a scrape.

He could imagine his future self thinking, LOL NOOB, as the scrape exploded with a pain that would be just as intense if Shelby cut his whole arm off with her sword.

Now, with pain in his arm dulling slightly thanks to Jin's spell, he could only watch anxiously as Sky joined the fight against Lord Aphmau.

She sneered at Okward. "You're getting rusty, old friend. Needing two children to aid you in a fight against little 'ol me."

"I'm not getting rusty," Okward said, gritting his teeth. "I'm only getting warmed up!"

He yelled, "Children, back away!"

As Sky and Shelby retreated to where Ross was wrapping up Cory's arm, an arc of lightning raced down from the sky and hit Okward's spear. 

Cory would've been worried for Okward, but he quickly thought back to what his teacher had said. 

"I'm the Seven of Lightning."

"Children, back away!"

Okward knew ahead of time that the lightning would strike at that spot. Okward summoned the lightning. Okward blasted Lord Aphmau in the chest with the lightning.

Lord Aphmau only stumbled back. She smirked at Okward. "Full camo body armor."

Okward's face paled slightly. "From the final battle."

Lord Aphmau spread her arms. "What? You thought I was stupid enough to throw it away when I knew there would be another group of seven children aiming to take me down?"

She looked at Shelby. "This isn't over. This is only the beginning."

Lord Aphmau looked at Okward. "Oh, and you might want to pay attention to your surroundings, old friend. One of your students is dying."

And with that, Lord Aphmau disappeared in a puff of smoke.

Okward lowered his spear, rushing over to Cory. He paled again. "I... I've never seen anything like this."

Sky grimaced as he walked over. "I have. It's from the metal that Aphmau's sword is made of. We call it, Black Death, for what it does when it hits its mark. The wound turns black, the soldier dies."

"Thanks for the encouragement," Cory muttered.

"We have to do something!" Shelby cried.

"I found a potion to cure it in my spellbook," Jin suggested.

Okward looked at the potion recipe. "It would take too much time to find all the necessary ingredients. I'm afraid we only have one option. Shelby, you must be the one to heal him."

Cory winced as pain flashed through his arm. "Hurry up."

Shelby looked at her hands. "How do I heal him?"

Okward shook his head. "That, I do not know. You are the first Seven of Love to be chosen in centuries. You will find the answer in your heart."

Another sensation of pain erupted in Cory's arm. This time, he wasn't able to hold back the cry of agony that escaped his lips.

Shelby flinched. She seemed to gather herself as she took a deep breath. She placed her hands on Cory's forearm. Shelby closed her eyes. 

A soft, pink glow fell upon everyone in the forest. Cory could make out Nick and Max running towards them, skidding to a stop when they saw Cory and Shelby.

Nick's mouth dropped open. Max's hard expression softened with genuine worry.

Shelby's eyes remained closed.

Cory felt a tingling sensation near the wound. He watched as the black transitioned to pink, and then back to his normal skin tone. He watched as the smoke emitting from the cut dissolved into the wind. Finally, Cory watched as the wound closed itself up. 

Shelby's eyes opened. Her pupils flashed from amber to pink for a moment, before her eyes rolled up into her head and she collapsed.

Onto Cory.

Sky wolf-whistled and Cory blushed. "Shut up," Cory said.

He gently rolled Shelby off him as he stood up on wobbly legs.

Okward looked on in pride. "This is perfect," he said. "I have never seen a Seven of Love in action before. As I said, Shelby is the first in centuries. Now, we have a good chance of defeating the Evil."

Ross looked at the sleeping form of his cousin. "What do we do with Shelby?"

Okward studied her for a moment. "She'll wake up soon. Take her back to the hut. Someone carry her."

Sky looked at Cory, his brown eyes flashing mischievously. "I'm sure Cory would love to do it."

Cory glared at Sky. "Fine. Nick, help me, I'm tired."

Cory and Nick each took an arm and dragged Shelby back to the hut.

Jin offered to help Ross limp back.

They dragged some pillows from one of the corners. Cory lifted Shelby's head and placed a pillow under it.

Okward left and came back with a tray of tea. 

Sky stretched and sat against a wall, propping up his sword next to him. Jin sat next to his best friend, reading his spellbook.

Max sat against the back wall, scowling at anyone who came close.

Ross sat down by his cousin, nervously looking down at her. 

Cory and Nick sat down against the wall opposite Sky and Jin. Cory stole a glance at Shelby. 

Her red hair spilled out from underneath her head like a river. She was smiling.

Okward cleared his throat. "Lord Aphmau was right. Some of you do not know how to use your powers. Ross, for example. I am aware you are not familiar with a weapon. Which is why this week will be spent learning how to use those, controlling your powers, and taking advantage of your surroundings. Now, Sky," Okward turned to the guard. "I know you are aware of how to use weapons and use your surroundings as a guard. However, you will need to participate, just in case. If you wish, you can help me teach the others. Is that alright with you?"

Sky shrugged. "Fair enough."

Okward smiled. "Now, Ross, I'll start with you. It's time for you to learn how to control water."