[27] secrets

-

- Cory's POV -

-

Cory peeked in the other cell. A man with curly brown hair and brown eyes was getting up from the stone bench in the cell.

"You?" Shelby asked. "You're Joel, Lizzie's boyfriend?"

"Lizzie?" Joel asked, seeming to perk up at her name. "Is she alive? They wouldn't tell me anything, and even if they did, I don't trust them."

"They?" Nick asked. "The Evil? What did they do to you guys?"

"They didn't do anything to us. They just checked up on us every week, giving us food and water," Joel replied. "I kept asking questions, but they didn't say anything."

"Whatever, let's just get you two out of here. In one piece would be preferable," Sky said, summoning his sword and slicing through Joel's bars.

Joel looked at Sky. "You're the new Seven of Air?"

Sky grinned. "Yep. Let's get out of here."

They ran out of the room. 

Ross pointed to the stairs. "Up here."

The group sprinted up the stairs, only to encounter a man standing in front of the tree.

Sky growled. "YOU!"

The man smirked. "Hello, Sky. I was wondering where you had disappeared to. With the Lord's son."

"He was fulfilling a promise to my mother," Jin snarled.

The man lifted his chin. "Manners, sir. Your father would not appreciate your attitude right now."

"What do you want, Michael?" Okward demanded.

"Michael? This is Red," Jin said, looking confused.

"Ah, about that. See, the Evil needed me to go undercover. I nicknamed myself, 'Red,' for my hair, you know? Since the Lord had already banned any Seven from entering the kingdom, I pretended to be a traveler from the Desert Kingdom, looking for a job as a guard. I slowly worked my way up to the position of Head Guard, still reporting the Kingdom's plans and defenses to the Evil. Michael disappeared one day and became part of the Arcane Seven. But Red is the Head Guard of the Kingdom of Magic. And Red will be your death," "Red" explained.

"I knew it," Sky snapped. "You were plotting to assassinate the royal family this whole time!"

"Why, Sky!" Red said, putting his hand over his heart in mock hurt. "I'm shocked! I would've thought that you, of all people, would respect me, since I had defeated the Kraken that you hated so."

Sky raised his sword. "What do you want, Red?"

"I'm here to take the Lord's son back to his father, and bring the Lord's Second Head Guard in for a trial. Hopefully, they'll execute you through decapitation. I've always wanted your head on my wall. Literally," Red said smugly.

"You're disgusting. If you can even get me back to my father, I'll tell him all about you," Jin threatened.

"You can try. Will your father even believe you?" Red asked. He looked in Cory's direction. "Ah, Sky, traveling with a wanted thief? So very beneath you."

"We've made amends. After all, every person standing here is technically an outlaw, right?" Sky said.

"Point taken. But enough talk. I'm the Seven of Fire. Let's see how well you fare against me!" 

Red summoned a hammer, and slammed it into the ground. A blazing inferno surrounded them. Max growled and waved his wand. The flames died out. Max summoned his bow and drew it back.

Red snarled. "So, another fire user? Impressive. But unfortunately for you, I've been taking lessons this past decade. I know a trick or two."

"Michael," Joel said desperately. "What happened to you?"

"Haven't you ever yearned for power? Haven't you ever considered how imperfect this world is? If I had a little more power, I could make the world perfect," Red said.

"You want the world to be perfect, move to the Fire Nation," Max snorted.

Red clapped mockingly. "Very funny, Max LaPlume. But I don't need to become one of those hotheads like Preston. I only need to move one position higher in my social status."

"You're Head Guard, what position is higher than..." Jin's voice trailed off. "Oh no."

Red grinned evilly. "Oh yes. When the time is right, I'll... take care of a few matters and assume the position of Lord. The Kingdom of Magic is the second most powerful kingdom in the land. I'll band with the other kingdoms and wage war on the Kingdom of Power. After that, I'll rule all!"

"You're mad," Shelby declared. Cory silently agreed with his crush.

Red only grinned more. "I've established that a long time ago."

"Go to--!" Cory didn't hear the rest of Sky's sentence. Sky smashed the pommel of his sword onto Red's head. Red collapsed like a puppet without strings.

Sky turned to the group. "Let's go."

And they all ran off, back towards the hut.