[special] birthday

[Written on Wednesday, July 20th, 2016.]

As many of you House_Owner (or, more recently, YourPalRoss) fans know, it was recently Ross's birthday (on July 15th). I love this book so much, and I have the next chapter written and edited already, so I decided to release this to celebrate our favorite squirrel/narwhal's birthday while I'm waiting for tomorrow to happen. Don't worry, I'm counting your votes, I'll say the winner next chapter! Enjoy this special!

Also, I'm adding splitting Chapter 34 (coming soon!) into two parts for schedule purposes.

BTW: The vote will be closed at 9:30 PM PST (Pacific Standard Time) TONIGHT!

(PS: Just imagine that the Seven were just sitting in the hut one day and they're celebrating Ross's birthday. No Evil wackiness, whatsoever.)

(PPS: Also Corby and Adlesa had already happened at this point in time, just so you know.)

-

-

-

- Ross's POV -

-

Ross stretched and yawned. He was in his comfy bed of pillows. Sunlight was streaming through the windows. For some reason, being there was oddly satisfying to Ross.

Someone poked his shoulder. "You're finally awake, sleepyhead."

"Dongus," someone else added.

Ross looked over. Shelby was the one who poked him. Cory was the one who called him "dongus."

Ross yawned again. "You let me sleep in?"

Shelby rolled her eyes. "See, this is why everyone calls you 'dongus,' dongus. It's your birthday, of course I let you sleep in."

Ross blinked. "Wait, it's my birthday?"

Shelby shrugged. "Last time I checked."

Realization dawned upon him. "So, that means..."

"Can we get this over with? I'm only here because Shelby is," Cory said from somewhere, before Shelby shushed him.

"I'M SIXTEEN!" Ross shouted.

Sky, Jin, Nick, and Max rushed in from the breakfast room.

"What's going on?" Sky asked. "We heard yelling."

"It's his birthday," Cory said, sounding bored.

Nick half-heartedly sang "Happy Birthday," but gave up when no one joined him.

Shelby threw her hands down. "Come on, guys! We have to celebrate!"

The four of them looked at each other. Finally, Sky shrugged. "Eh, what the heck. I've got nothing better to do."

"Count me in!" Jin exclaimed.

"Why not?" Nick said.

"Whatever," Max deadpanned.

Shelby squealed and dragged Ross out of the makeshift pillow bed.

Thirty minutes later, Shelby had somehow baked an unfrosted cake, and all of Ross's friends had gotten him "presents."

They were sitting around the breakfast table. Shelby's cake was in the middle, and everybody was holding the present they had crafted.

After a quick, monotonous (none of them really knew how to sing), round of "Happy Birthday," Ross blew out the candles Max had lit and cut into the cake with Cory's knife.

Once they had all eaten their cake (and complimenting Shelby on a job well done), they all took turns giving presents to Ross.

Cory had stolen a pillowcase and marker from somewhere and used the marker to write "ROSS" in big letters on the front of the pillowcase. He had also drawn flowers and hearts around his name. Something told Ross he hadn't put that much effort into his gift.

Shelby had given him a blue lanyard.

Nick gave him some clay. "To do something with your hands," he said, gesturing to Ross's fidgeting hand.

Jin gave him a pine leaf. "Because it smells good!" he had said.

Sky gave him a pinecone he decorated with glitter and glue. "It looks cool," he said.

Finally, Max had given him something he made with the help of Jin. It was a figurine of a chicken, looking to be made of hardened clay. "I convinced him to help me with this. I remembered how you used to be a chicken farmer. Thought you would like this," Max said, handing him the figurine.

Ross grinned. "Thanks. I love it. Thanks for celebrating with me."

They all laughed at their ridiculous gifts to him, then decided on just playing around outside.

All in all, it was the best birthday Ross had ever celebrated.

Sometimes, you don't need a fancy party, or expensive gifts, to celebrate your special day. These kids only had each other, and they made do with the situation. You don't need a trip to the local amusement park, or a new car, to have fun, or to smile so wide your cheeks hurt.

All Ross needed were his friends, and that's all he'll ever need.

Happy Birthday, Ross.

Love,

Your fans