Chapter 3

She could feel her breath catch inside her chest as her entourage reached the outer gates of the Onyx Kingdom. The lights providing a rather ethereal glow to black stone.

Ava smiled to herself as she passed through the gates, her guards flanking her on each side, followed by her servants.

"Welcome to the Onyx Kingdom, Your Majesty." A servant dressed in Onyx garb stood in front of them, a black tattoo stamped on his forehead, "I was requested to take you to the palace."

Ava and her entourage followed, the faces of the dark onyx turning to their small group, eyes growing wide.

She wanted to smirk in satisfaction, nonetheless, she never broke her stoic features as they swam past with her head held high.

She could already imagine herself viewed by other strangers. Amber stones that glittered her body, emphasizing her ample chest and slender waist. Stings of amber diamonds decorating the area where her skin met the scaly texture of her golden tail.

She would be a stark contrast against the blackness of the Onyx.

The Onyx Palace loomed ahead, the servant giving the guards a silent nod.  The massive doors opened, revealing the splendor of the palace.

"It pleases me that you accepted my invitation," a deep voice rumbled.

The voice belonged to a well muscled merman, tattoos spiraling around his body, matching the black pools that watched her.

Ava smiled and tilted her head in recognition, "I can say that I'm impressed that a kingdom so beautiful had remained secluded from the rest of the nations."

A shadow passed through the man's gaze before being masked by a smile, "The gates are open now, hopefully friendship can be forged between our nations."

Ava flashed him a smile and tilted her head forward in a respectful bow, "The same goes for me and congratulations on you and your fiancee."

An odd glimmer appeared in the king's dark orbs at the mention of his fiancee, "Thank you."

"Caspian!" someone called, turning the heads of every member of her escort.

He was a strange creature. White hair fell a few inches past his shoulders, covering parts of the tattoo that seemed to stretch around the merman's slender body. A simple black cloth was draped over his shoulders, secured by a stone that looked like it was made of stormy clouds, matching the merman's silver eyes.

The merman came to a halt, his curious eyes regarding her and the entourage, "Oh. Hello!" he grinned, waving at Ava.

Ava raised a brow, mimicking the curious gesture, "Hello there."

Caspian smiled and took the merman's hand into his, a rather peculiar gesture between a rather odd couple that seemed to have no similarities. In fact, they were complete opposites, like the sun and the moon.

"This is my fiance, Marcus," Caspian spoke with a smile.

Quiet gasps passed through her servants and guards.

Ava smirked to herself, keeping her pale features stoic. There was definitely something going on between the walls of the kingdom and she was going to make sure her little shadow would find out.

She smiled and bowed her head, "Nice to meet you. Congratulations on the engagement."

King Caspian smiled, the slender creature beside him blushing, "Thank you!"

Marcus smiled, "Would you like the servants to show you to your rooms?"

Ava nodded her reply, servants scurrying to take them to their quarters.

Her room was large, the strange lights providing a rather alluring glow to the black walls. The circular bed rested at the center of the room, a canopy framing the edges.

"Ava?"

Ava turned, her eyes falling on the slender merman. Her shadow, her closest confidant and only friend she could truly trust.

"Roni," she smiled, patting the edge of the bed. Roni approached, his slave jewels glittering beneath the lights, golden hair swept away from his feminine features, his long hair floating floating behind.

The merman obeyed, taking his place beside her, gold tail tucked beneath him and arms wrapped around her waist. He was a clingy creature, who's large brown eyes never failed to make her insides melt.

She smiled, running her fingers through his silky hair, sometimes brushing against the amber collar around his neck.

"You're precious to me," she murmured softly.

Roni blushed and hugged her tighter, burying his face into her chest, purring happily, "I know. You're precious to me too."

She chuckled softly and kissed his head, "Good. Now go do what I told you and be careful."

Roni smiled at her, kissing her cheek before dashing away with a flick of his tail.

******

Elric tugged at the restraints that held his wrists together, draining his magic with every minute he wore them.

They were uncomfortable, the metal digging into his skin, causing small ribbons of blood to disappear into the water around him.

The only bright side to the restraints was that he no longer heard the voices that had always plagued him in his youth or in the time he spent in the wretched cells.

"How did you and Caspian meet?" the witch spoke beside him.

Elric stiffened at the sudden closeness and personal question but the angry glare from the Emerald prince forced him to tell his story.

He clenched his hands, the broken edges of his nails digging into his skin, "We were both children when Caspian and I met," he murmured softly, a sense of nostalgia filling his bones.

"My parents served Caspian's parents, it was only natural that I followed their footsteps by serving Caspian," he muttered, twisting his wrists against the cuffs, "Caspian was kind and easy going when he was a child. He never treated me as a servant, but as a close friend."

"Yet, you betrayed him," Atlantis said flatly, a firm grip still on his spear.

Guilt flooded through Elric's veins, his eyes never wanting to meet the accusing gaze of his captors.

"Why?" Morgan said.

Elric shook his head, digging his wrists further into the cuffs, focusing on the pain that enveloped him.

"Morgan asked you why," Atlantis snarled, the tip of his spear suddenly digging into.the skin of his neck.

Elric said nothing, never fearing the death that would follow.

"Atlantis," Morgan warned, placing his hand on Atlantis's forearm, his green eyes narrowed, "That's enough."

Atlantis hissed and turned away, pulling his arm away from Morgan's grasp, muttering incoherent curses underneath his breath.

They continued their journey, to a place he knew not where but he couldn't help but feel a sense of foreboding, a danger that he was sure it was waiting for him in the near future.

:o What do you think of Elric and Ava so far?

Omg I just love sakimichan. Her art is so amazing.

Vote & Comment!