Chapter 11

He was there.

She could feel her heart nearly constrict, seeing the human transformed to a mer.

Impossible, she thought, her eyes darting to the other royals who had gotten rather quiet. Her eyes fell on each one, particularly having an idea about Jonas's appearance when she spotted Morgan.

Ava flashed a false smile, "Evening friends," she murmured with a tilt of her head in acknowledgement, the other royals returning the gesture.
For once, she felt excluded and alone. However a soft pressure in her hand reminded her of Roni, who's bright eyes shined with adoration. She smiled and squeezed his hand before taking her seat.

"Mistress Ava?" Roni murmured softly, taking character of the royal slave he was supposed to be.

Ava let her fingers slip through his hair. She could already feel the curiosity of the other royals, wondering about the slave that followed her.

She didn't care, because in the end, family came first.

*******

Jonas watched the way she carried herself. To anyone else, she was seen as a cold hearted queen who kept a child as her slave. But he saw past that. In her eyes, he saw pain and loneliness, a heavy burden on her delicate shoulders.

For once, he wanted to follow his instincts and pull Ava into an embrace, but he didn't have the courage to do so.

"So who's getting married?" Jonas said trying to ease the awkward silence.

Atlantis snorted, "The Onyx King and Marcus."

Jonas paled. Jesus Christ how many royals are there?

The sound of the trumpets sounded through the coliseum, immediately grabbing their attention.

Silence reigned, the slow hum of the drums sounding as two doors on opposite sides of the arena slid open.

On one, a large male emerged, his powerful tail glistening like the black gold from Texas. A large tattoo framed the muscles on his back, complimenting the  silver chain that held an onyx stone on his back and on his chest. His long black hair had been pulled away into a ponytail, revealing his sharp features in black orbs.

The merman looked serious but when the second merman emerged, his face became a little soft.

The second merman Jonas recognized. White hair and pale skin, he looked almost like a delicate fae. However, the black tattoos and the twin blades strapped on his back marred the innocent image.

"This doesn't look like a wedding," he muttered under his breath.

"That's because the Onyx don't do your typical wedding march," Morgan murmured, his hand reaching out for Atlantis's.

The drums stopped and only silence filled the air.

He watched as the two circled one another, their gazes locked, oblivious to world around them. But that's when the fighting started.

To Jonas's horror, he watched as large man unsheathe his sword, swinging it towards Marcus.

"Don't worry," Morgan whispered to Jonas and to those around him as they watched Marcus swing a pair of twin blades at the man.

"Why are they fighting?" Jonas hissed, clenching and unclenching his fists, trying to reign his temper that had flared at the sight of the barbaric act.

"It's a tradition," Morgan whispered, the clash of swords making Jonas wince, "It began with the Onyx god who fought his own lover when they first met."

Jonas scoffed, "Talk about love at first sight."

Morgan chuckled, "It was the mer that calmed the raging beast inside the god."

"They could at least wear armor," he murmured, watching as Caspian nearly cut Marcus's chest if it weren't for the young male's reflexes.

Morgan shook his head, "Not wearing armor during the ceremony is sign of trust, a sign that they are equals."

"Caspian is twice his size," he deadpanned.

Morgan stifled a laugh, "Oh Jonas. You have so much to learn before you play your part."

His final words left him confused.

******

Ava watched the ceremony, her eyes brimming with tears. She could see the love and trust between Caspian and Marcus, the magic that swirled around them and the tender glances they shared.

It was with a simple kiss and the blades that crossed between them did the ceremony finally end with a loud cry of joy and excitement.

"It's so beautiful," Roni whispered, his own eyes watering.

Ava looked at her nephew, gently stroking his chin before drifting towards the reception where the royals would speak.

However, her gaze never wavered from Jonas.

No longer was he wearing the human clothes, but a helmet and thin leather straps that left his muscles displayed in full glory. She shivered, controlling her sinful thoughts and focused on the banquet.

It was then that the newlyweds made their entrance, their faces bright with happiness.

Ava couldn't help but feel a small hint of jealousy. For so long she had searched for someone of her own, but eventually she gave up and just scratched the biological each that came at least once every full moon.

"Congratulations," she said with smile. The slender merman grinned, his silver eyes brought out by a simple white cloth that covered half of his torso and a thin black crown that rested on his white hair.

"Why thank you Queen Ava!" he said taking her hand into his, "I'm so happy you came all this way to be in my wedding."

Ava blinked in surprise at Marcus's harmless touch. She had partially expected him to say something about her behavior the day before but Marcus seemed calm, bathing in the happiness of being wed.

The slender merman was a curious creature, reminding her so much of her Roni. However, after awhile he grew tired of her company and drifted off to be by his husband's side.

With a soft sigh, she retreated from the banquet, no longer finding herself in the mood to mingle. Perhaps tomorrow she would be able to meet with the Onyx King about the alliance.

"So is there a husband?" a deep voice said behind her.

Ava whirled, her eyes falling on a pair of pale green eyes, a few strands of blonde hair visible beneath his warrior's helmet.

"Definitely not," Ava deadpanned before looking away from the human.

He laughed, a low rumbling sound that sent pleasant shivers down her spine, "I'm not sure how to feel about that. Glad because no put a ring on that pretty finger of yours," he said seductively, his lips near her ear, "Or sorry because you're lonely."

Ava gasped and glared at him, "How forward of you!"

His hands went on either side of her, caging her against the dark walls, "Oh really? Tell me," he murmured, his lips ghosting the skin of her neck, "Why didn't you kill me on that ice?"

Blush covered her cheeks,"I- I, get off me!" she stuttered, pushing his body away but the male's large frame proved to be a wall.

"I could've," he whispered, his green gaze meeting hers, his hand pulling away the golden helmet from his head, revealing his masculine features.

Ava wanted to slap him, hit him with all her might. She simmered in anger, Jonas's teasing gaze making her boil.

She didn't know who started it first, but the next thing she knew, she had her lips pressed against his.

Ooo <(^,..,^)> hehe

Vote & Comment!