Chapter 9

"I'm supposed to drink this?" Jonas said, peering at the vial filled with what he swore looked like melted gold.

Morgan nodded, "Of course! It's a potion I made that transforms humans into mers."

"That shit sounds straight outta Disney," Jonas muttered.

"That's what I thought!" Marcus exclaimed, throwing his hands into the air while his floated on his back.

Jonas frowned, "You drank this as well?"

Marcus nodded, "Mine was different according to Morgan."

He nodded slowly, "That may explain why you look so awfully familiar."

Marcus chuckled, "I doubt it, unless you were in Europe and deep into the music industry."

Jonas wracked his mind but the the only time he had been to Europe was when he transferred the supposed dignitary.

He shook his head and glared at the vial, "So I drink this whole thing and I turn into one of you? For how long?"

"A week, perhaps then I could focus on a more permanent potion so you don't have to be up here all alone." Morgan smirked.

Jonas watched him warily before drinking the vial, which strangely tasted like honey.

Warmth spread over his limbs, chasing the cold away. However, the pleasant feeling was replaced with pain, pain that he had never endured before.

He could feel his body collapse, darkness consuming his mind.

*******

"Ava?" Roni whispered, nudging her.

Ava groaned, "Just a few more," she murmured sleepily, making Roni giggle.

"But Ava! Today is the wedding!"

Ava buried herself further into the sheets, "Sleep is more important." Roni bit his lip and lifted the sheet, peering at Ava. A single eye peered at him through blonde lashes.

Roni pouted, "Please?"

Ava sighed, "Oh alright. Why don't you do Ava a favor and bring me my breakfast?"

Roni nodded, a grin on his lips before darting out the door.

Ava sighed softly and called for her handmaidens who immediately came in to take care of her morning appearance and preparing her for the wedding.

"Your Majesty?"

Ava's eyes fluttered open, her gaze falling on Roni, his body masked by the appearance of a slave.

She arched a brow, "What is it?"

Roni stepped aside and a strange merman entered, her eyes widening in recognition.

He was the same merman she saw that was accompanying the human, except this time he was dressed all in his finery with his hair carefully brushed and pampered. Green eyes rimmed with black paint and lips tainted with a redish hue. However, her eyes widened at the jewels he wore.

Onyx armbands circled his biceps, diamond rings nestled in his middle finger on each hand and on his forehead, rested a single emerald jewel.

Gods, she thought, He's a favored citizen of three kingdoms. If she were to lay a single hand the peculiar merman, three nations would go to war against her. Yes, she was strong but not strong enough to fend off three unified kings.

Her eyes narrowed, "Everyone out."

The merman smirked, his serpent like eyes watching as her maidens left her quarters, leaving her, Roni, and the strange merman behind.

"Who are you?" she spoke, the full authority of a queen seeping through her voice. The merman shifted closer, his talons touching the gold jewelry that littered her table.

"Is this the first time you've left your kingdom?" he murmured.

Ava frowned, distrustful of the merman that seemed to walk with an authority of his own, nonetheless, she felt compelled to answer the stranger, "Yes." The merman grasped a single earring, raising it towards the light, casting off a eerie glow.

"Have you ever fallen in love?"

Ava blinked, surprised by the strange question. She glanced at the cushion beneath her, perfectly manicured nails sinking into the delicate fabric. Old memories from her childhood surfaced, the delicate features of her deceased brother bright with happiness as his arms held a tiny bundle in his slender arms. Tears pricked her eyes but took a deep breath to calm her emotions, not wanting to shed tears in front of the stranger.

"I loved someone," she responded, "But an old debt took the life he had left."

"I'm sorry to hear that," the merman spoke, letting the earring fall towards the table. His body moved towards the door, "Queen Ava?"

Ava tilted her head, looking at the merman, "Yes?"

A small smile touched his lips, "My name is Morgan and I will help you meet the One that will mend your broken heart."

*******

Morgan sighed softly as he drifted towards his quarters.

Another broken soul, he thought, absentmindedly rubbing his chest. He had seen the sadness that revealed itself in her aura. He remembered the rumors that he heard, some saying that she had a child out of wedlock, others that the slave she kept with her at all times was her lover.

But Morgan knew better.

Queen Ava buried her sorrows in the arms of men, quieting her silent pain with moans of pleasure.

"Morgan?" a familiar voice said. He glanced up, golden eyes looking at him with tenderness, "Are you okay?"

Morgan nodded and smiled, "Yes, I'm fine."

Atlantis moved close, his fingers wrapping around his, "So what's with the strange man in our room?" the prince teased.

Morgan blushed, "Well I thought he may be of some help with Queen Ava."

Atlantis arched a brow, "The Amber Queen? Morgan, surely you have heard of the rumors?"

"Horrid rumors," Morgan snapped, surprising Atlantis, "The poor queen is suffering and yet she has managed to keep her kingdom from going to poverty. Surely you know how hard it is to rule with a broken heart!"

Atlantis touched his cheek, "I would never know love, but I know what it's like to have a broken heart."

Morgan softened and wrapped his arms around his prince, "I am so sorry."

The Emerald Prince kissed the top of his head, "It's alright. After all, it's all well between us."

Morgan grinned and looked up at him before pecking his lips, "What do you say I introduce you to Jonas?"

Atlantis grinned and nuzzled his neck, "As long as I get some attention later."

Morgan giggled, his fingers ghosting over Atlantis's skin, "Definitely."

Vote & Comment! cx