Chapter 8

Ava didn't know what was happening to her. One moment she felt powerful, adrenaline coursing through her veins like the currents of the ocean, and the next she felt weak and unable to harm the human she wanted so badly to kill.

It was as if something within her had stirred, stopping her from causing further damage.

The human's eyes where a beautiful shade of green, like the precious stones from the Emerald Kingdom yet his hair was gold, cropped close to his skull, the top part longer than the rest. A light scar marred his features, stretching from his temple towards his earlobe. Ava shivered, resisting the urge to run her tongue over the indentation in his skin.

The rather naughty thought sent her reeling back with horror.

"Remove yourself from me!" she commanded, struggling against his vise like grip.

The human had the audacity to smirk, "Not until you say please."

Ava snarled, flashing her teeth in anger.

"Ava. Just do what he says. It's no use to struggle," a soft voice said, revealing the face of the Onyx's fiance, which only angered her more.

"You! Fraternizing with the humans!" she snarled.

"Oh boo. She comes and ruins the fun we were having," another merman said, his peculiar appearance appearing in front of her. His eyes reminding her of a demonic beast, his hair in desperate need of care with seaweed tangled in his dark hair.
Ava hissed struggling against the hands and body that confined her, "Release me!" she said once again, her body begging for water as the man's strange clothes dried her skin.

"Not until you say please," he said.

"Please," she spoke, her voice strained with anger.

The man let go of her wrists, her body immediately darting back into the water.

She could feel her heart threatening to leap out from her chest and the mixed emotions were not helping to calm her nervous state.

Ava couldn't believe that two mers were breaking the rules by consorting with humans. Did Caspian know? What about the other kingdoms? It was law that when a human fell into their waters, it was either up to the kingdom to let them drown for a swift death or let them float on the not so merciful surface.

Yet, the memory of his green eyes seemed to calm her beating heart.

She hissed, angry at not only herself but her reaction towards to what she perceived as an insufferable human.

Not bothering to return back to the surface, she returned back to her quarters where she could lick her wounds in private.

"Ava!" Roni's high pitched voice said, the cold kiss of his jewelry pressing against her skin when he hugged her, "I was so worried when you didn't come back soon."

Ava gave him a half hearted hug, "I'm alright love."

Roni kissed her cheek, nuzzling her neck in a friendly manner, "You seem odd."

Ava chuckled softly and guided him towards the bed, "It's nothing important, just trying to cope with something that I've recently experienced."

"Does Ava want to tell Roni a story?" the merman said, curling in her arms.

"How about I tell you your bedtime story?" Ava grinned, kissing his forehead, "We have a busy day tomorrow. It's the king's wedding after all."

Roni nodded as he curled up beneath the bedsheets, lips slightly pursed. Ava smiled and gently tucked a few strands of his hair behind his ear.

"What story do you want to hear?" she murmured softly.

Roni snuggled close, "How about the little boy?" Ava could feel her heart squeeze inside her chest, complying with Roni's request. Like a mother coddling her child, Ava pulled the sheets towards Roni's delicate chin.

"Once upon a time," she began, "There was a boy. He was a prince, loved by all who met him. Fortune followed the young lad, bringing everyone around him happiness." Ava glanced at Roni's wide eyes. "But on the twelfth year of his birthday, his aura changed. No longer did he bring fortune, instead, darkness followed the young prince. His parents were killed and his friends succumbed to the illness that plagued his kingdom. However one day he came unto a witch."

"Ursula!" Roni whispered.

Ava smiled and nodded, "He wanted the bad things to stop and she agreed to it but the agreement didn't come without a price."

Her fingers gently combed Roni's all too familiar blonde hair, "Fortune returned to the kingdom once again, and the young prince grew up and became king. He found love with a beautiful mermaid, who conceived two beautiful children, a boy and a girl with golden hair. They were dearly loved by the king but he never forgot the price of the wish he had made so many years before."

"On the two hundredth year of his son's life, the son's life was extinguished along with his wife. Leaving behind a young child," Ava glanced at Roni, his brown eyes hidden beneath closed lids.

Ava smiled softly and kissed Roni's forehead and whispered softly, just so he wouldn't wake up, "Goodnight my little nephew."

****

"I think that went well," Marcus said, his body leaning to see if the mermaid returned.

Jonas rose an eyebrow, "She tried to kill me."

"But she didn't," Morgan said, a smirk on his lips, "I can say she is a strong mermaid but the simple fact that you were able to bring her down with ease may have brought her ego down a peg or two."

Memories of the beautiful mermaid surfaced through his mind. Golden flecks dancing around the brown orbs which was brought out by the golden lining around her eyes.

Yet, Jonas couldn't help but feel appalled by his own behavior. Between him and Agent 47, he was always the gentleman, compared to Agent 47's devil personality.

"Jonas?"

He blinked, looking at the merman called Marcus. "Sorry," he murmured bashfully.

Marcus laughed, "It's alright. Anyways, I was wondering if you'd like to join me below."

Confusion clouded his features, "Join you?" he laughed, "Marcus. Humans can't breathe underwater without the help of an oxygen tank."

The strange look that passed between Morgan and Marcus made him question his own statement.

A mischievous look appeared on Morgan's peculiar features, his snake like eyes glinting, "What if we told you that we could change that?"

He could feel the air become trapped in his lungs. A human breathing underwater without any devices? he thought.

"What do you say Jonas?" Marcus eagerly said, his body slipping back into the water, the top of his head just above the ice, "Say you'll join us. Pretty please?"

"Oh do say yes!" Morgan said, his body bobbing in the water excitedly.

Two pairs of eyes looked at him, wide and begging for him to agree.

"Aw shit," Jonas cursed, running his hand through his hair, "I'll bite."

Vote & Comment!

A/N: I decided to write a story specifically for Wattys2016 called Eve.

It's a bxb story, so if you're interested. I need some feedback on it.

<3 Thanks. Love you.
-The Anon