Chapter 17

Ava could feel an unpleasant sensation curling inside her stomach.

It bothered her, and the urgent pace that Morgan was taking didn't provide any consolation.

Ava speed next to him, her tail propelling her forward, her golden eyes settled on the peaceful looking kingdom.

At least, she thought it was peaceful.

She could hear the swords clash against each others, the cries of her people bleeding her ears.

What was going on?

Ava released her true self, sharp amber scales decorating her skin as her fingers clenched around the hilt of her sword.

Her eyes grew wide when she finally arrived at her kingdom.

It was in chaos. Soldier fighting against soldier, mother against daughter, sons against their fathers. Children cried, wounds marking their tender skin, blood staining the usually blue waters.

She could feel her heart twist inside her chest, spreading across her body.

"Dear gods," Fro spoke, his own eyes wide.

"You're Majesty!" a mermaid cried, clutching her wounded shoulder.

Ava approached the mermaid, her hands reaching out to support the struggling maiden, "What happened?"

Blue eyes glistened, her breaths coming in soft pants, "It was General Ro. He said you were lovers and were expecting a child," her eyes darted to Ava's stomach. "He filtered the Council and broke them apart. His army is trying to kill off your loyal soldiers. He wants you off the throne my Queen."

Gasps collected around her. How could she had let this happen?

She should've known that one of her previous lovers would come to her for vengeance.

Gone was the soft spoken poets and slurred words, it had been replaced by a general who wanted power. She thought he would've been easy prey but now she could already see the consequences of her actions.

Ava took a deep breath and handed the mermaid to Fro, "Help her."

Fro's brows furrowed, "My Queen?"

Ava looked at the chaos, her body transforming to her true self, pointed scales enveloping her skin, talons sharpening and reaching to grip the double edged sword.

"I'm going to right this," she murmured.

"Let me join you," Morgan spoke, "It's good to have a friend to watch your back."

Ava smiled but it quickly disappeared when she saw Roni appear, "I want to go!"

"No," she said, "It's best you stay here with the rest of the servants, far away from danger."

Roni bit his lips, the slave chains glinting, "Take care, yes?"

Ava could only nod, she needed Roni here. He was the only family member she had left.

Her eyes darted to her kingdom, "Let's go," she spoke, her voice quiet but filled with commanding power that she rarely used.

Her powerful tail propelled her forward, Morgan a few paces behind.

"Your Majesty!" a male soldier cried, a jagged cut marking his sharp cheekbones, "It was General Ro!"

A low growl left Ava's mouth, "I know," her eyes trailed over the soldiers that had seized to fight, "Where is the traitor?"

The soldier swallowed, "He is in your throne room my Queen."

Ava could feel her nails dig inside her palm.