Chapter 19

Ava could feel her energy drain away the more she battled against the general, who seemed to still have his strength.

How? she thought, blocking another strike with her sword, jarring her body and forcing it against the wall.

Ro grinned, his beady eyes glittering, "Tired Your Majesty?" he teased, twirling his blade.

Ava breathed heavily, her vision blurring with exhaustion, "How? You're weak."

Ro chuckled, pointing the tip of the blade against Ava's throat, "It's all Lilith, love," he murmured.

Ava's eyes darted towards Lilith, Morgan fighting tooth and nail against the witch, the explosions of their magic shaking the walls of the palace.

Gods, she prayed, Please help us.

*****
"Elric?" Roni whispered, his slender body hovering above his own, long blonde hair framing his feminine features.

Elric frowned, watching the young merman go out of his way to swim far enough towards where his body was chained against the rock. It seemed as if the servants didn't even want him near him and yet here this little merman didn't even seem afraid of him and was rather kind to his much rather course personality.

"What do you want?" Elric muttered, not wanting to look at the innocent eyes. Eyes that seemed to make his cold heart flutter inside his chest with unknown warmth.

"I want to go with Ava," Roni murmured, twiddling his thumbs.

Elric laughed, "I'm sorry Roni but you were told to stay here."

"I don't want to stay here!" Roni cried, his hands clenching into tiny fists. Elric's brows furrowed, surprised at the creatures odd burst of emotion.

"Well then go. I can't stop you," he said, turning away from the beautiful mer.

"I want you to come with me," Roni murmured quietly, "Please?"

Elric adjusted himself within the chains, rattling the cold metal, "Even if I wanted to I cannot. These chains hold me down."

"I suppose that's where I come in," a deep voice coming from above.

Elric glanced upwards, the changed appearance of Jonas filling his view. Long hair framed his muscular torso, the glittering scales of gold making up the powerful tail that every warrior would envy.

His eyes widened, the glowing powerful aura visible around the man's skin.

The god, Elric thought. Of course the god Aviv would rest within the man. He looked exactly like the god, a pure heart resting inside him.

Elric swallowed, "Jonas."

The merman said nothing, his green eyes peering into Elric's empty soul, knowledge of Elric's past swirling in the green depths.

"We must go," Atlantis urged, "My gut is telling me something is wrong."

Jonas nodded, quickly cutting through the cuffs and chains that locked away Elric's magic.

Energy flowed through Elric's veins, the voices in his mind whispering their eternal torment. Elric hissed through his teeth, his hands clasping over his ears in an attempt to silence the voices.

"Here."

A small vial of an all to familiar pink liquid came into his line of view. Without bothering to ask, Elric grabbed the vial, downing the heavy liquid, the whispers becoming a quiet buzz in the back of his mind.
"Where did you get it?" he asked, looking at the trio.

Atlantis shrugged, "Aceso said we might need it. You should thank her."

Elric swallowed, "Why are you doing this?" He wasn't sure why the god wanted his help, even then, why would he do it?

"Because I can help you find your brother," Jonas said.

Elric froze. How did the host know he had a brother? Even more, how did he know he was missing?

"How can I trust you?" Elric sneered.

Jonas betrayed no emotion, "Aviv is the god of Love and Lust, and what you and Merlin have is a love only brothers can have, it's something that Aviv can find. It will take time, but eventually he will find it." Elric swallowed, unable to believe the man's words. He could be lying, trying to sway him to his side. Yet, he could see no lie, but pure sincerity. His eyes fell on Roni, the innocent soul begging him with his wide eyes. Elric clenched his hands, the sharp talons digging into in his palm of his hand.

"I will assist," he murmured, "But I want Roni to stay here."

"No!" Roni exclaimed,."I want to go!"

Elric narrowed his gaze on the pretty merman, "You will stay. Where we are going, danger awaits. Something you are not prepared to fight against."

"Elric is right," Atlantis agreed, "And I don't want to be there if Ava sees a single cut on you."

Roni whined, but complied, much to Elric's relief.

"Well then," Atlantis said, his lips set on a firm line, "Let's go."

*****

Jonas rubbed his chest, something he found himself doing quite often, ever since he came from the orb. Perhaps it had something to do with Ava's absence. Hazel eyes that glowed, blonde hair that his hands begged to touch and a curvaceous form that was meant to be caressed. If anything, she was The One. He was sure of it.

As they swam, the closer they got to a unfamiliar but well known place. The land was covered in sand, amber stones jutting out like daggers. Amber walls twisted and turned, creating the looming figure of the Amber Palace.

"It's so quiet," Jonas murmured, noticing the deserted area as they swam towards the unguarded palace doors.

"I think the kingdom has been evacuated," Atlantis murmured, "But even then, the guards should be here."

"Do you not feel it?" Elric whispered, his dark orbs glittering with what looked liked crazed madness, "It's black magic, and there's only one mer that I know that emits such a powerful aura."

"Lilith," Atlantis murmured, "Isn't she dead?"

Elric laughed, flashing his sharp teeth, "She is the product of dark arts. Magic that specializes in resurrecting the dead and controlling the weak minded." Jonas felt goosebumps rise on his skin, the thought of being zombiefied not being rather appealing.

"Can you kill Lilith?" Atlantis questioned, "King Marcus had gotten close to her before but something tells me she was caught off guard, an error I don't think she'll repeat."

A loud scream caught their attention, interrupting their train of thought and urging them forward to the throne room of the palace.

Jonas froze, his heart skittering to a stop.

The throne room was a warzone, nothing that Jonas had experienced before. Charred walls sizzled, some cracked and broken, others nearly melting. Balls of burning light were thrown about, boiling the water around them.

Jonas hissed, the heat becoming rather unbearable.

"Jonas!" A familiar voice said.

His head whirled, the familiar figure of the woman who had been occupying his thoughts battling against a man he did not know.

He didn't notice when Morgan called to Atlantis, or when Elric took over Ava's fight with the blonde haired merman. Nor did he notice the strange screech that came from a dark skinned mermaid. Instead he pulled Ava into his arms, his lips smashing against hers with a passion he never felt with another woman.

They pulled away, breathless but with their hands still cupping each other's cheeks, "I love you," Ava whispered.

Jonas could've laughed, her confessing something so important in a time where time was short but instead, Jonas savored the confessions.

"I love you," he said.

Can't believe this book is coming so close to the ending. Only a few chapters left!
Vote & Comment!