Chapter 14

Her fingers threaded through his blonde hair, a shade similar to hers and that of her brother.

"Your father was my brother."

"Why didn't you tell me about him?"

"My brother's last wish was for you to have a normal life, never the life of the court. He wanted you to have what he couldn't, and that's freedom, to do what you wished without the chains that keep a royal bound to their kingdom."

Her nephew had fallen asleep, curled up on his side, his eyes puffy from the tears he had shed. Some of them had been tears of sadness but others had been of joy. He had been happy that Ava was his aunt, but also because Ava had allowed him to call her his mother.

"I love you mama."

Roni had said, burying his face into her lap, his hands hugging her torso before falling asleep.

Ava didn't know the feeling that had accumulated inside her chest. It was a mixture of love, protectiveness and hope.

She could feel her feelings for her twin's only son multiply. Now that he knew the story she told him every night was not a simple bedtime story but a tale created from truth, a truth that told him a small portion of her life before she began to rule.

She leaned in, kissing Roni's forehead, "I'll protect you. I swear upon my own life."

Roni only stirred, a soft noise leaving his full lips.

Ava smiled, an old memory resurfacing, the same face Roni had looking at her with dewy eyes.

"Tell me a story dear sister," her brother murmured.

Ava let out a quiet chuckle, running her finger through her brother's blonde hair, "What kind of story?"

Rey grabbed a lock of her golden hair, "How about the one of father? The one where Ursula struck a deal with him?"

Ava laughed, shaking her head, "Once upon a time..."

A faint smile touched her lips, the memory of the years she spent with her brother still fresh in her mind.

Soft fingers squeezed her hand, the cold kiss of Roni's jewelry touching her warm skin.

For once in a long time, she squeezed the hand that felt so familiar to her.

******

"Why?" Caspian asked, his arms crossed over his tattooed chest.

Elric clasped the chains that held his hands together, jagged nails sinking into the palm of his hands. He had been expecting Caspian's visit, waiting for him to unleash his anger upon Elric. However, he didn't expect the calm and collected king that stood before him.

Elric ran his tongue over his sharp teeth, his muscles tensing beneath the strong grip the Emerald Prince had on his shoulders.

"The king asked you a question," Atlantis snarled into Elric's sensitive ears.

Elric winced, the sound resonating through his mind, "Saying it is not easy as you think."

Caspian let out a sigh, rubbing the bridge of his nose between his two fingers, "You must understand Elric. I want to know what made my closest friend to turn on me and try to make what little I had of my kingdom fall. Was it the wealth? Power? Women?"

Elric hissed at the mundane objects Caspian had listed, "No. What I want goes far beyond such meager things!"

"Then what was it?" Caspian said, his voice louder and strained with anger. Veins bulged beneath the olive skin of his throat, his knuckles turning white, "Why did you betray my trust?"