Black Cat-11

I had expected something to happen, but nothing. Balto stayed in the living room, Taryin kept to his new room. My parents unexpectedly agreed to host Taryin while he was in the exchange program.

And life continued on like nothing had ever happened.

Balto didn’t talk for days, Taryin dragged me in a conference room in the back of the library to eat. Nothing happened, I was almost back in my normal routine. Nothing happened for a week and a half, how glorious it was.

But I was never so lucky.

Taryin and I walked up through my backyard he twirled his key in his hand silently as I followed behind him. I wasn’t paying attention and hadn’t noticed that he had stopped in front of me, which caused me to bump into his back.

He spun around quickly wrapping his hand around my mouth. My eyes went wide when he looked down at me, his pupil stretched upwards like a cats or a lizards would.

“Hunters.” The word seethed like poison from between his teeth and he looked over his shoulder at the back door which was slightly ajar. My heart jumped in my chest, they weren’t kidding there actually was people out to get Balto.

“Balto-” I gasped dropping my bag to the ground and slipping around Taryin.

I pushed inside the house and came face to face with a big burly looking man with a nasty ragged scar down the side of his jaw making it look all deformed. I screamed instinctively, because looked like a horror movie reject gone mad. In his hand he held a metal cricket bat, his dark black eyes focused on me and he grinned.

“He found a cute host didn’t he?” He chuckled stepping towards me.

I clenched my jaw and took one step forward bringing my right foot up between the man’s legs, the punt actually caused him to lift a little from the ground. He dropped the metal cricket bat and instead covered his groin, his face went purple as he dropped to the side.

“Thanks for the bat.” I said crouching down to pick it up.

I glanced back at Taryin who stood frozen in the doorway his jaw hanging open, “You… Little-” I swung the bat in my hand and hit the side of his head.

Not as hard as I could have but enough that he slumped to the ground hard, I swung the bat in my hand and moved through the living room being mindful of where I stepped.

Not that it really mattered if they heard me now or not, I had just knocked down one of their guys. That was bound to piss them off, or maybe they were more mercenary than hunters and didn’t care if one of their guys went down.

The ceiling above me creaked and I looked up, they were upstairs. The first places they would check after sweeping the main floor would be the basement, then they would make their way upstairs leaving one guy down here, the guy on the floor. It was a simple plan, but predictable.

“Sybelle get the hell back here” Taryin hissed at me.

I glanced back at him pointing to upstairs, “They're up there.” I whispered.

“I know that, now come back here. Wait outside.”

Smirking I shook my head at him, like hell I was going to wait outside, I was not going to let these guys get away with breaking into my house just for a damn talking man-cat thing.

Ignoring Taryin I snuck across the room slipping silently up the stairs, if I strained to hear I could make out two men talking and searching. They hadn’t noticed the guy down here dropping? Morons.

I peeked out from around the corner in the stairs up into my room the door was open and it was completely trashed all of my things were all over the place. Photo’s lay on the floor crumple and crinkled, my snow globes were strewn all over the floor one of them was broken and the water pooled near the foot of my bed. Anger hammered through me making me shake.