Black Cat-29

I was muddy and shivering as I was walked into the school. Luckily the gym teachers arrived super early and I was able to borrow the spare gym shorts while I waited for my pants to be cleaned.

Balto sat with me in the gym office, soft country music played in the background, the humming sound of the TVs and the expensive exercise equipment was all welcomed white noise.

âSo will I be able to see this drawing of me today?â He asked wrapping his arm around my shoulder.

I glanced at him nervously nibbling my bottom lip, âNo, youâll have to wait for me to finish it. Donât be pushy.â I snickered shaking my head.

âWell Taryin and Sunny are excited to see it as well.â

âIâm sure Taryin is just exploding with excitement to see my drawing. He hates me.â I muttered dropping my head, and it wasnât a stretch to figure out why.

âHe doesnât hate you. He just doesnât trust you, its normal for him. He really is just looking out for my well-being there isnât anything more.â

I scoffed rolling my eyes, âLike I could hurt youâ€Â¦Ã¢Â€Â My voice trailed away as pain filled his eyes.

“Sybelle you can hurt me in ways that no healer can remedy.” He whispered looking away.

My heart ached with every beat, I reached out leaning across his lap to kiss him. Because I was a scaredy-cat and wasn’t confident enough to do anything, it was just a harmless soft lipped kiss. It brought a warm smile back to his face and he turned to look at me as I sat back.

“I don’t mean to hurt you.” My smile was shaky, “I never meant to hurt you.”

Her bushed his knuckles down the side of my cheek and nodded his head slowly, “I know, the situation you’ve been put in is confusing. Nobody expected Sylvester to do this, especially me.”

Swallowing the lump in my throat I asked, “If you knew he would switch his target onto me, would you have stayed?” It was a leap, sort of a test to see if he really did mean what he said.

His dark cobalt blue eyes dropped to his lap and he rolled his lips, never a good sign. I felt my heart plummet.

“I would have taken you with us when we ran. I never would have given him the chance to touch you, I should have thought about this more. I’ve put you in danger.”

My trembling hand reached out taking his, my slender small fingers wrapped only halfway around his palm. He leaned in against my shoulder nuzzling it with his cheek.

There came a loud knock from the door and I looked up at the gym teacher Mrs. Kittner. She held up my jeans and smiled warmly her light pale hazel eyes sparkling as she looked from Balto to me.

“Sybelle your clothes are dry.” Balto groggily sat up at the sound of her voice.

“Thanks.” I rose to my feet turning and looking down at Balto, “You stay here, I’m just going to change I’ll be right back.” I said lifting his face to look at me, he looked exhausted. With a sigh I placed a kiss on top of his head before walking over to Mrs. Kittner to get my jeans.

As we walked out of the weight room she glanced back at Balto who was still sitting where I had told him to. She leaned over nudging me with her elbow, I looked up at her and smiled rolling my eyes.

“Look at you Sybelle, he’s cute.” She giggled as we walked down the hallway towards the bathroom where I was going to change.

“Yeah, he is.” I said with a cheery smile, he was cute and he was all mine.