Black Cat-27

My dad called telling me to keep safe, that he would be home in two to three days, that call was followed by my mother calling to say nearly the same thing except in weeks. She had been offered a teaching course and wanted to try it out for a while.

I set the phone down after my mother and turned to look at the three men in my kitchen, I suddenly felt outnumbered in testosterone.

“Can I call a friend?” I asked grabbing the phone again.

“What friend?” Balto asked crossing his arms as he usually did.

I looked back and forth as if there were others standing around me, “Natalie.”

He frowned and shook his head at me, “Why? Are you uncomfortable with us here?” He asked stepping forward.

“Only a little bit, I’m not used to having three guys in my house… it’s only a little intimidating.” I said giving an awkward smile.

Taryin scoffed rolling his orange eyes, “You find us intimidating, yet you can walk straight up to Sylvester and call him a chicken shit.” He grumbled looking away.

I pouted at him pursing my bottom lip at him, “You suck you know that.” I snapped.

Balto stepped between us letting out a deep sigh, “Both of you stop it, I know where this is going-.” He gasped his hands clutching at his chest.

I watched as he fell to his knee’s landing heavily enough that the kitchen shook rattling the cupboard behind me. I rushed forward to help him only to be pushed back by Taryin, Sunny knelt down next to Balto and helped him to his feet.

                “Balto…” I whispered staring up at him.

Pain creased his face and he turned away from me for a few moments, his shoulders heaving as he fought to breath. Taryin stayed crouched between us, slowly I rose to my feet and went to step around Taryin to get to Balto.

                “Take another step and I’ll drop you back onto your ass cupcake.” Taryin snarled glaring up at me.

My eyes shifted up to look to where Balto stood leaning against the counter, “I think it would be best if I bid- said goodnight Sybelle. Fighting off the primal urges seems to be more difficult than I anticipated.” He croaked his voice tight and crackly.

“But it’s only seven.” I didn’t want him to leave yet, we had spent the entire time from getting home from school going over things we knew and how tomorrow morning would go better than today did.

I hadn’t gotten to spend any time with Balto… that fact made me sad. Here was another vote for his cat form, we could talk for ever and no interruptions.

“I’m sorry Sybelle, but I do not wish to cause you harm. I fear that if I do stay around you any longer I will do something we both may regret.” The clipped and regal tone he used made me flinch.

I didn’t like this side of Balto, it was distant from me. I stepped back from him pulling my hands in against my stomach. Personally I wasn’t feeling all that well anymore. Shaking my head I turned and walked away from them heading up the stairs. Chills swept over my body making my legs tremble.

“Sybelle wait!” Balto shouted.

“Don’t even think about it, you go up there you won’t be able to control yourself Balto. You know it.” Taryin hissed.

“Damnit.” Balto cursed.

I shuffled into my room closing my door behind me, that was an unpleasant feeling. My stomach turned threatening to make me throw up.