Black Cat-22

I walked through the school front doors Balto’s hand in mine and I felt oddly lightened by having him here with me. It was lunch so everybody was crowded in the front lobby getting ready to meet up with friends for lunch.

I on the other hand was here to introduce the new student Balto Murphy to the school and show him around.

Apparently without my knowledge he had signed himself up for school along with Taryin and Sunny. But he had put the excuse that he is ill most of the time and thus misses a lot of school.

So he’s taking the in class courses as well as their corresponding online course so he can keep up with both. He technically didn’t have to be in school ever. But he was coming with me.

Because you know an immortal has nothing better to do than follow around their young crush. I knew that wasn’t his real intention, Balto hated school almost as much as I hated bullies.

He was only going to keep an eye on me and keep the hunters and his crazy brother away by confusing him some more by coming out in the open.

Something he hadn’t done in over three hundred years. I felt my hand tighten on his and he glanced over at me giving an encouraging smile as people began to point and whisper.

I wanted to curl into a ball and hide. Until that is I spotted Natalie in the crowd talking with some of her dance crew. I released Balto’s hand slipping easily through the crowd and all but jumping at Natalie. She glanced back at me and ignored me giving me the cold shoulder literally.

“Natalie?” I whispered my spirit falling.

“Can I help you with something?” She snapped turning to look at me.

My eyes began to sting with tears, why was she acting this way to me?

“Uh, I was just wondering if you were alright. I mean you haven’t responded to any of my calls…” I said fiddling my fingers.

“Well sorry, I don’t have time for lying friends who can’t even send a simple text to encourage me on my big night.” She spat at me making me cringe.

Then I remembered two weeks ago when I had first picked up Balto, the Friday after I was supposed to go to Natalie’s dance recital and then after that I had been so busy with all of the crazy messed up things being thrown into my life I had completely spaced. I was a horrible friend.

“Nat, please let me explain!” I begged her.

She scoffed tossing her hair over her shoulder, “I don’t have time to waste on friends like you.”

An arm slid around my shoulder and I felt my eyes widen, “Oh really such a shame. Sybelle, had been telling me all about you.” Balto’s deep bass voice rumbled through the air making Natalie freeze.

She glared him down just as she did with any guy that tried to lay a finger on me, “Who the hell are you and what are you touching her for?” She snapped at him stepping forward

“I thought you didn’t have time to waste on friends like her?”

“Get your dirty man hands off of her! You think you can touch her just because I turn my back. I’m not letting Sybelle get hurt by another man ever again!” Natalie shouted pushing Balto away and pulling me in against her chest.

I wrapped my arms around her stomach and burst into tears, I was happy. She hadn’t forgotten that we had promised.

“I’m sorry Natalie, I didn’t mean to forget. I swear I wouldn’t have missed your dance recital for anything but people broke into my house and I had to talk with the authorities it was scary Natalie!” I cried as her arms tightened on me, it wasn’t a complete lie.