Black Cat-18

Natalie wasn’t at school and if she was I couldn’t find her anywhere. Taryin tagged along behind me like a lost puppy dog. I even resorted to asking some of the girls that Natalie was on the dance squad with; they said she was at school.

But apart from that they had nothing else to tell me. Natalie only ignored or disappeared on me like this when I had upset her. She never liked confrontation.

Taryin grabbed my arm at the end of my last period which for everybody else was the end of fourth period and the beginning of fifth. I turned in the hallway to look back at him, he nodded in front of me. Turning back around I stared directly at a pole that separated the doors in front of me.

“Oh…” I murmured, “Thanks”

He pulled me back and pushed through the right side of the door, “Get your head out of your ass, Balto’s placing his life on the line, gods know why, to hide his fuzzy ass with you” Taryin grumbled pushing me through the doors so I stumbled out into the crowd of people.

I felt his hand slide down my arm as he made a grab for me. Instead I was swept up the rushing current of students all shuffling speedily to their next class.

 Somehow I ended up at the front doors, glancing over my shoulder nervously I pushed outside into the bitter chill of the autumn air.

The front courtyard was dead empty except for the line of cars at the curb and a few people who shared the spare with me or were just pretending to have a spare today because they couldn’t care less.

There was no sign of Taryin who had probably been harassed back into the school by girls desperate to get his number. I was thankful he hadn’t given it to me, so when my phone disappeared then quickly reappeared I knew they hadn’t found anything.

I only had my home phone number, Natalie’s number, Sunnys (Under an Alias) and apparently Balto had a phone. Taryin and I had agreed it would be safest for my school life if I didn’t have his number.

But right now I was regretting that decision because I needed him to find Sunny so then we could get a ride home and not have to wander the streets looking for the bus that we missed.

I turned around to look back into the school waiting for Taryin to burst through the doors, hook his arm in mine and drag me off to Sunny’s car. At least that was what I was hoping for.

“Sybelle! Behind you!” I looked up and spotted Taryin leaning from a window, he was in the process of climbing out of it.

I turned around prepared to have somebody attempt to kidnap me, instead about a meter away at the curb stood the boy who had asked me if I was alright over a week ago. I smiled and started to walk towards him, I wanted to know his name.

“Hey!” I called out to him waving my hand.

His pale face remained flat as he stared at me with intense powder blue eyes. He had short almost silver looking thick hair. Poor guy was an albino school must be tough for him, it would explain why I barely see him.

“Sybelle stop!” Taryin shouted from behind me.

His hand grabbed my arm spinning me away from the albino man; He crouched down and snarled at him. I stared down at Taryin then up at the albino, I was missing something here.

“Stand up you grovelling Mutt before I decide to do the world a favour and gut you” His voice a deep rumble much like Balto’s, but it was cold and barren unlike Balto’s.

“Screw you Sylvester” Taryin snarled at him rising to his feet and backing me away.

“Wait, Sylvester! He’s Balto’s, brother?” I hissed from behind Taryin.