Black Cat-32

I sat at my art easel sketching out the shadows of Balto’s face as well as some of the background. I had gotten his stance and form filled out in pencil outline, I was staying afterschool today to work on it. Taryin was sitting at his easel today as well, which was just a little in front and to the right of mine.

Balto sat in his chair just as he had done before, even though he was dressed differently it didn’t affect the way the picture would look.

I had everything I needed. In reality Balto didn’t really need to be here, well for me at least. I’m sure the rest of the class was enjoying how ethereal he looked sitting in the cold afternoon sunlight that streamed through the industrial windows and skylights.

I pulled myself in closer to the easel which also took me out of Balto’s sight and kept him from mine. I needed to think of what I was going to do. With Corey being back I had a lot more to really think about and consider. To normal people there wouldn’t be all that much, but I wasn’t all that normal.

My parents and his parents had had an agreement, Corey would stay away from me and the police would not be involved. But with him back and without his parents there to stop him I was afraid of what he was going to do.

Well more so I was afraid to tell my parents that he was back, my father would uproot us and get his buddies to change our entire life. I didn’t want that, mostly because it would mean that no matter what Balto said or did I would have to leave him behind.

That’s how bad Corey had gotten, I had felt like I was inches from just dying that day. I didn’t care if he loved me or not I just had wanted it all to end.

“Sybelle?” I jumped and dropped my pencil onto the ground, Mrs. Brynin jumped back a little as I spun on my stool to look at her.

I felt something cold drip down my cheek, “Sorry about that I sort of zoned out.” I laughed rubbing my eyes quickly, stop crying stupid its over! I cursed myself over and over again in my head as I crouched down grabbing my pencil. As I stood back I realized I was crying again, they just wouldn’t stop.

“Do you need to go for a walk?” She asked stepping forward and placing a hand on my shoulder.

Taking in a deep breath I shook my head and rubbed my eyes again drying them up, “No I’m fine, just really proud of the drawing so far.” I said looking back at it.

“It is beautiful, just don’t put so much stress on yourself.” She said before walking away.

I sat back down on my stool and went back to sketching, I did not need to get emotional right now that was no way to act. A knock at the door made my breath hitch.

“Uh, hey I’m supposed to be transferring into this class?” I turned slowly and looked at Corey.

“That’s unusual, you don’t have the prerequisite. For now stay here, I need to check this with guidance. Go take an easel and start sketching.” She said absently waving her hand at him.

No… He couldn’t be in this class, this was my haven my happy zone. He spotted me and a dark smile curled across his face. I knew that smile that meant more tears and pain and love that I didn’t want. He was four feet maybe away from me when Mrs. Brynin began waving him back.

“Wait you!” She called her eyes glued to the sheet, “This is next semester, you have gym right now. And just too clear things up you’re in an open class not an academic.” She said pressing the sheet to his chest and pushing him out of the room.

I let out a heavy breath and went back to drawing my shoulders suddenly feeling seven pounds lighter than before. Having Balto around was making me exceptionally lucky. It seemed every time I wasn’t with him something bad happened.