Black Cat-26

My last period was the easiest and quiet honestly was more of a filler for space. Art, for some it was difficult to please the teacher, for me it was simple because I just didn’t care what the teacher wanted I did what I wanted to.

Which was what art really was.

My teacher had nearly had a fit when Balto walked in, she demanded he be our model for the day. It gave me free range to stare at him and not feel awkward.

He kept his face towards me because of where I sat it was perfect. The shadows outlined his beautiful facial structure, Taryin sat at the back of the class napping.

He wasn’t all that into art, it was nice for him, he didn’t have to do any of the work or pass anything.

I glanced up at Balto he smiled warmly at me, even though he sat quiet regally on the small black stool I had drawn him in a more relaxed and slouched position. This meant I had to infer what he looked like leaning back in a large red and gold stereotypical throne.

Instead though of red velour and gold wood I exchanged it with dark midnight blue velour, and black wood.

He was slouched in that, his right leg dangling over the one arm rest while he slouched down his left leg extended.

Sitting at his feet looking out at me were two dog like in origin creatures. One had orange eyes while the other had a patch of light gold fur over his right eye that looked like a sun.

I had to do something to distinguish Sunny from Taryin other than the eyes.

In Balto’s lap was a little black kitty cat, both their blue eyes transfixed on me, the painter. Balto was dressed in a long v-neck t-shirt with a matte black trench coat with tight black pants and riding boots.

His hair was ruffled and messed falling in a sleepy fashion over his dangerous and controlling blue eyes. He rested his right hand on the cats back while his right supported his face.

A small smile turned the corners of his mouth up. I felt Ms. Brynin step up behind me her presence was normally cold and distant. Today though I heard her clap her hands actually.

“I love it!” She shouted looking up at Balto.

His eyes widened and then narrowed in on me, all I had at the moment was  a sketch and planning in my notebook where I had verbally described him. I would be working on it for a while.

“Oh Sybelle this is going to be absolutely stunning!”

I smiled weakly and nodded my head thanks, “It’s going to take a while to finish but I should be done with the model by the end of class today.”

“Oh but getting the eyes right, you’ll still need him dear trust me. He’s got specific eyes.” She murmured glancing up at him rubbing her chin.

Balto gave me a hard look as well, he was a mix between curious and furious. Apparently he didn’t like the fact he couldn’t see what I was doing.

“I think to keep the image solid the Model shouldn’t see it and be influenced” I suggested looking up at Ms. Brynin.

She nodded enthusiastically, “Brilliant, good thinking ahead there Sybelle.” She said patting my shoulder encouragingly.

I smiled at her glancing nervously at Balto to find his dark blue eyes boring holes into my soul. Taryin looked up from his nap and smirked, he was amused at least.

The teacher wandered off to look at other students work leaving me to finishing the pencil sketch of Balto and his animal friends.

He didn’t move for the remainder of the period, he just sat there watching me like I was his prey. I shifted uneasily in my seat my cheeks heating as his gaze grew intense.

I stopped looking up at him after a while, A few minutes before the bell I grabbed my canvas bag and threw it over the large canvas I was working on. Ms. Brynin helped me zip it up and put it in her personal storage locker. It was the only one with a lock on it.

“Oh Sorry, would you mind being our model again sometime?” Ms. Brynin asked as Balto walked up behind me.

“Anytime Sybelle wants. I don’t want to get in her way.” There was something bitter in his voice, it was confusing to hear.

I reached back grabbing his hand and smiling shyly, “I’ll talk to him about it. See you tomorrow.” I said pulling Balto away from her quickly. He tugged on my arm stopping me before I could get to the door.           

“What did you draw me as?” He growled.

I sucked in a breath and turned to face him, “I drew you as both.” I said squaring off my shoulders.

He frowned, “How did you draw both parts of me?” He snapped.

Balto was getting really upset about this; I didn’t know that just me drawing him would cause him to get so upset.

“Because I like both sides to you Balto, I like this side that I can show off to everybody. But I like the other side that was just mine to look at and touch.” His face softened and a smile pulled at his lips again.

The realization of what he just did flashed through his eyes and he dropped his head into one hand cursing himself softly under his breath.

“I apologize Sybelle. That was rash and unwarranted of me. Something about you it drives me mad.” He whispered shaking his head.

I stepped in against his chest smiling to myself, “You were worried about what I see when I look at you, it’s only natural for you to feel that.”

“I’m starting to think keeping you two from having sex is impossible.” Taryin muttered walking past us into the hallway.

We both went statue still, neither one wanting to make the first awkward move. I took a deep breath and did the smart thing and stepped backwards.

“No, that was rash and unwarranted. Compared to him, you are golden.” I chuckled taking his hand in mine again and leading him out the door.

There was a trend with Balto, something about this all seemed agonizingly familiar to me. The cure to Balto’s curse was closer than I originally thought, if only I could figure it out.