Chapter Ten

Songbird woke up breathing heavily. Sweetwing was laying next to her, and she was in the warrior den.

"Sweetwing must've dragged me in here.." She thought. As she got up, she looked out to see it was dawn. She walked into the medicine den, viewing their progress. Water ran down at the sides- it would be good for emergencies. The den was covered in vines that Songbird had found, and flowers were blooming beside them- making it look like they were coming out. She walked to the side where the herbs were stalked. They only had cobweb and poppy seed, which is all they needed for now. Cobweb and poppy seed would help with Sweetwing and her birth, but they would also need another herb to stop bleeding. Horsetail.

"I'd hate to seem scared about blood loss, but because we may get attacked, I can't risk anything." Songbird drew a breath. Her mind was covered in herbs- She wasn't the medicine cat, but she always helped collect herbs in her clan, so she could easily remember them.

"We may need marigold too." Songbird whipped around to see Sweetwing standing at the rock-path entrance.

"You startled me." Songbird said, letting out a long-drawn out sigh. Sweetwing nodded.

"Sorry. I'm a light sleeper, and the toms are gone." She said happily.

"We could go out and collect herbs together!" She offered. Songbird shook her head.

"No.." Songbird sighed. Sweetwing tilted her head with a frown.

"Why not?" She asked.

"I can't risk losing the first kits of the clan- ThunderClan is more than aware of us now. They know I'm still here, and they've seen Sagefoot. They might not have seen you yet, but I can't risk you and your kits. I'm sorry.." Sweetwing hung her head.

"I still want to have fun." She explained.

"I want to protect my kits as much as you do- even if I don't love their father, they still deserve the best life they can have. And I'm glad they'll be born here, rather than the judgmental ThunderClan." She sighed.

"Thank you for my home." Songbird was speechless. She could not squeeze a single word out of her trap.

"Your welcome." She said, before nuzzling her good friend. Songbird then realized something.

"Wait? The toms are gone? I thought only Graypool, Sagefoot and I were going?" She asked.

"Well, yeah. But then you fell asleep and Smokestep went."

"Oh, I see.." Songbird mumbled. Sweetwing simply nodded. Songbird lowered her ears for a moment, then opened her jaws to speak.

"Were back!" The words silenced her.

Sweetwing ran out of the den to greet everyone, but realized something was wrong.

"Songbird!" Sweetwing called. Songbird slowly padded out and her heart sunk.

"Smokestep? Where is Smokestep...?" Sagestar smiled at Songbird, but she was silent. Her ears felt hot, she was angry.

"Graypool." Songbird started. "Where is Smokestep?" Her voice was low, and quiet. Graypool looked at Songbird.

"The journey was safe, however.. During Sagestar's ceremony, he tried to attack him." Songbird heard a surprised gasp from behind her. She already knew it was Sweetwing, but she nodded for Graypool to continue.

"StarClan defended Sagestar, unfortunately, they had to take Smokestep's life to do so." Graypool explained. Songbird swallowed, hard.

"Our clan is shrinking." Songbird meowed.

"However, with Sweetwing's kits on the way, our numbers should increase. We'll need more kits, but more warriors for apprentices.." Songbird stated. Sagestar walked forward, resting his muzzle on her head.

"Songbird. You don't need to worry about this. It is no longer your responsibility." He meowed simply. She looked at him as her heart remained sunk.

"Graypool." Songbird started again, clearly ignoring Sagestar.

"Yes, Songbird?" She sighed, then looked at Sagestar. She shook her head, looking back at Graypool.

"I'd like to become a medicine cat." Songbird heard a hiss from Sagestar, and a surprised gasp from Sweetwing. It had to be a lot for her friend to take in.

"No." Sagestar started. "I will not allow you to become a medicine cat!" He hissed. Songbird looked up at him, her eyes calm.

"Sagestar, you are one of the best cats I've ever known.. But I can't take away from your destiny." She meowed, dipping her head to the tom.

"W-What do you mean? Songbird..." He stuttered. She shook her head at him.

"In addition, Graypool." Graypool looked over at Songbird.

"Yes?"

"Once you have taught me your knowledge, I want you to move to the elders' den. Do these sound like fair terms?" She asked. Graypool nodded.

"Sagestar." Graypool mewed.

"Please, remain calm. Your a very important cat. Unfortunately, you two are not meant to be." He turned his head away and fell silent.

"Stay strong for your clan." Songbird meowed.

"I.. I love you."