Chapter 19: Fire in a Crowded Workshop

(Ok, I have figured out exactly where I want to go and how, so this book is going to be 31 chapters. Maybe one or two more, depending on the last few.
       Obviously, I'm cutting a lot of the episodes, and I really hope you guys don't mind. I'm sorry the book won't be as long as some of you may have believe.
         Also, for some reason, when I search Smarties (Tails x Reader) on my search, it doesn't pop up. I think Wattpad is a little broken right there).
           I looked around the shop, searching for certain pieces and parts to fix the wing of my plane. It has been a week since the whole ordeal of simply spending all my time inside.
            I had gradually started moving my arms more, making it so they became more relaxed and less stiff and sore. It has been two weeks since the whole dislocation of the shoulders issue, but, like I said, everything has been going pretty well.
              There's just one thing that bothers me. This would be the fact that Eggman's activity has been suspiciously low. I mean, I suppose it's a good thing, but it makes me feel weary.
             "Hey, Angel, are you alright?" Tails questions, rubbing the small of my back. I snap out of my thoughts, turning to face him.
            "Y-yeah...for the most part... I'm just becoming suspicious of Eggman. He's had no recent activity, and I'm starting to become paranoid." I explain quietly. Tails sighs, holding me in his arms.
            "Everything will be alright..." Tails whispers. I smile up at him, bopping him on the nose.
             "I know, I have you to protect me." I say cheerfully. Tails playfully rolls his eyes.
             "I'm nearly positive everyone already knows you can protect yourself." Tails explains. I give him a soft smile, turning my head back to the pieces and parts scattered around the shop.
          I pick up a few pieces here and there, Tails showing me some as well. Once I finished picking out all the pieces I wanted, I head towards the checkout. I place my items on the counter, handing the cashier the exact amount of money needed for the purchase.
              The cashier looked at me, a slight smile on her face. I gave her a soft smile. The cashier was a Tasmanian devil with short, dark black hair. Her fur/skin was a grayish-black color. She also had a lightening shaped scar on the left of her face. (Well, my left, her right).
The cashier's left (again, my left) eye was a pretty sky blue, but, if she shifted slightly, I could see that her other eye was a beautiful, emerald green from behind her bangs. Her bangs faded from black to whitish-gray.
She wore a light blue shirt, a yin and yang sign with the sun and moon on it, a long-sleeved, white shirt under it, light green jean shorts, a sun and moon necklace, a brownish-red belt, and red converse. (This is actually my sister's OC, so I wanted to include her).

     (I'm so proud of that for some reason

(I'm so proud of that for some reason. IDEK why, though. XD).

"You know, not a lot of females come here." She comments as she hands me a couple bags of items, as well as the receipt.
"I kind of figured that would be the case. Also, before I leave, I'd like to know, what is your name?" I reply, looking down slightly at the girl.
"I'm Mallory, nice to meet you. What's your name?" She introduces politely, holding out a hand. I grab it, shaking it ever so slightly.
"My name is (Y/N), pleasure to meet you too. Um...don't you seem a bit young to be a cashier? Also, when did you get that scar? It looks like Harry Potter's, but it's on your cheek." I question. Mallory shrugs.
     (I'm so sorry if that is any of your guy's names. That just happens to be my sister's so...)
"Yeah, a little bit. I'm only 13, but I'm trying to help my parents. You know, lend a hand around the shop and such. Besides, aren't you a little young to be buying pieces such as those? You only seem to be what, 15?
            As for the scar, I got it awhile ago. I accidentally scrapped it with a piece of metal. When I realized it looked like Harry Potter's, I screamed and fangirled quite loudly." Mallory retorts, running her fingers over the scar. I laugh the tiniest bit.
"Oh, that was that random scream I heard one day... Also, Touché, Mallory. Touché." I reply, intertwining my hand with Tails's. I wave goodbye to the young girl with my other hand. "I'll make sure to come here when I need some parts!" I call out as I walk towards the door.
Mallory gives me a wide smile, waving back. Tails looks down at me, a slight smirk on his face. I give him a questioning look.
"What is it?" I ask, tilting my head the tiniest bit. I see a light blush come to Tails's cheeks. He rubs the back of his neck.
"I just thought it was...cute, the way you talked to that girl. You almost seemed like a pair of siblings that got along well." Tails explains. I smile, looking down at the ground.
"She was cute, that Mallory girl. I don't know how I talked to her so easily...I guess she just...um, reminded me of someone, I suppose." I explain. We continue to walk back to the workshop. Tails eyes suddenly widen, like he remembered something. "Is something wrong?"
"I'm just wondering if this defense system I put up is working." Tails replies, explaining his situation briefly. I make an 'o' shape with my mouth.
"I remember you setting that up. I hope you don't take offense to this or anything, but I made sure to park my motorcycle outside, just in case the system malfunctioned or something." I explain. Tails gazes once again shifts back to me.
"That's fine. I kind of did the same thing for my plane." Tails responds, rubbing the back of his neck slightly. I giggle a little. We then continue to walk, a peaceful silence arising.
After a little bit of walking, I see the workshop come into view. My eyes widen, suddenly stopping. The workshop was...smoking? Tails's eyes widen. We slowly look at each other before taking off towards the mess.
           Tails barges into the workshop while I set down my bag outside by my motorcycle. I burst inside, nearly running into Tails. I look around, seeing Sonic, Amy, Knuckles, and some random girl covered in ash. They had black patches everywhere.
             "What happened here?" Tails questions. I look around; everything seemed to be covered with ash.
            "Can you be more specific?" Sonic questions, crossing his arms. A plank of wood and a sock fall to the ground. "Oh, the mess. Funny story. It all began at Meh Burger..."