17. '03:11'

I struggled to sleep that night, it should've been easy seeing I was hungover but no. My brain wouldn't turn off.

I got out of bed and took my guitar that was in the corner of my room. I pulled my desk chair out and started to strum a familiar tune. Seeing as nobody was in I started to strum louder till eventually the lyrics popped in my head.

"Nothing's alright believe me, and I say I won't feel the same in the mornings. Nothing's alright we're leaving, and I won't feel the same in the morning"

It was Van's song tyrants, that particular verse was stuck in my head. I clicked the home button on my phone and saw the little gadget illuminate the room. The time shone '03:11'  I went onto my messages and started to compose one.

* To : Van *

" Hi, are you awake?"

I hit send and scrolled through Facebook before ending up searching Van's profile and looking through his old photos. I came across one of him with Emily, they looked happy. I scrolled through several more pictures of them and the more I saw a dull ache started to form in my chest. A notification popped up on the top of my screen from Van, it read;

"Hi. Yeah I can't really sleep, guessing you can't either"

I started to reply back when something clicked and I realised I didn't want to be alone tonight, or did I just want to be with Van? Either way I replied;

"Yeah, you'd think I'd be used to sleeping alone in this big house. Van I know it's late/really early but would you mind coming round? I don't want to be on my own tonight"

Van seemed to message me back straight away saying he wouldn't mind and that he was going to leave his house in a minute. I let out a sigh of relief once I read it and put my guitar back on it's stand in the corner of my room.

I sat back down on my bed and started to stroke Toby while he purred away in his sleep. Once he moved I put my beside lamp on then walked over to the window and looked up at the dark sky, it was clear night except the bright light of the moon shone with ease.

I felt my phone vibrate in my hand and saw a text from Van saying he was 5 minutes away so I made my way downstairs and went into the kitchen and got two bottles of water before walking into the living room and peering outside the window.

Soon enough I saw Van walk toward the gate, I jumped up and made my way to the front door where I buzzed him in and opened the door. I didn't look at him as he walked closer to me, instead I held my head down looking at the floor until I saw two feet opposite mine.

"Are you alright cait?" Van asked as he lifted my head up so we was now making eye contact.

I just forced a smile and hugged him, my grip grew tighter and I didn't want to let him go. He placed his hand on top of my head and used his thumb to stroke my hair.

"It's okay, your not alone anymore" I heard him whisper before gently kissing my head.

Once I broke the hug and locked the door back up I gave Van a bottle of water and held mine before leading him upstairs.

We sat down on my bed and I watched as Van stroked Toby. I decided to break the silence and tell Van why I couldn't sleep.

"I feel like I'm away with the fairies half the time. I think you keep me sane. I'm sorry that I ignored you, I just needed time and once you told me everything I just - I realised something-" I started to yawn.

"It's okay cait, you don't need to say anything. Your tired, let's just sleep" Van held my hand and cracked a smile at me.

"Your gonna stay?" I asked in confusion.

"Of course I'm gonna stay, I didn't come all the way here for a 5 minute chat but even if you wanted a 5 minute chat at 3am I'm happy to oblige" Van smiled.

"Thank you Van" I smiled back at him before getting under the covers. Van joined me and I snuggled up to him, I could hear him softly humming while he played with my hair. Before I knew it I was asleep.