⇲Chapter Four

After his mother worked countless back to back shifts, it seemed she was finally going to get a breather, unfortunately, it didn't mean she could spend it with her feet propped up and a glass of wine in hand

After his mother worked countless back to back shifts, it seemed she was finally going to get a breather, unfortunately, it didn't mean she could spend it with her feet propped up and a glass of wine in hand. Instead, she was taking Zakari out to get the rest of his needed school supplies for the year. Zakari had offered to go and get them with Garrick, seeing as his grandfather often had more time on his hands, but she gently declined the offer, claiming that Garrick would come if he wanted, but she definitely wanted to be there for the shopping aspect to make sure that he had everything he needed. Once again, Zakari found himself wishing that his mother would allow herself to relax more often, but it was much easier said than done.

Especially as time neared closer to when Zakari was due to leave, as the month of September was just on the horizon, she was trying to spend as much time with Zakari in between working.

With his letter in hand, Zakari stayed alongside his mother as they travelled through Diagon Alley one early afternoon. The two had shared some brunch at the Leaky Cauldron before they got started, Zakari could still smell the lingering aroma of the pancakes he had. Probably because somewhere on his robes he had managed to spill some maple syrup. Liz left him in charge of the listen as he continued to look it over, between signing and fingerspelling, he could tell her what he needed to get. It would have been easier for her to just read the list on her own and direct them where they needed to go, but Zakari had to get used to not fully depending on her any longer.

She was not going to be there at school with him and the thought terrified her completely. Since he had been born, the only time the two were apart was when she was at work, and while it sometimes felt like it was forever on long days, it was nothing like being away for months at a time. It was going to be a big change for both mother and son, and Liz was trying to make it out that it was all going to be alright for Zakari's sake.

Peering down at the list in his hands, Zakari came upon the need of his uniform as the first part.

UNIFORM

First-year students will require:

1. Three sets of plain work (black)

2. One plain pointed hat (black) for day wear

Everything had come across as just fine until Zakari read over the part that required him to get a hat. He grimaced and gave a shake of his head before peering up at Liz, and making the motion of pulling one over his head. She couldn't help it as she laughed at his reaction, knowing very well that he was not going to be a fan of the hat. But she gave a nod of her head, confirming that he did have to get one, leaving his face to drain of all colour.

"No worries," she told him with a reassuring smile, " you look good in hats."

That wasn't exactly Zakari's worry when it came to the part of the uniform. He didn't care how good he looked in it, it was a matter that he found pointed hats to be incredibly ridiculous in appearance. They were so over the top and silly looking, he would have much preferred to wear a type of a cap of sorts or nothing at all. Walking around like a deranged unicorn in school didn't really sound that fun. Such an exaggerated noise left his lips, mixed with pure agitation and Zakari suddenly didn't find himself looking forward to the shopping trip anymore.