Chapter Nineteen

While the envelope writing belonged to his mother, the writing of the letter was unrecognizable to Zakari. However, as the letter sat in his lap, he leaned back against the headboard of his bed with a curious look. Duncan sat at the end of the bed, waiting on the boy's command.

Dear Zakari,

There is no set way or easy way for that matter, for me to start off this letter. Please understand that I would have much rather have had this initial conversation in person, so that we were able to talk face to face. But it would have been rather difficult on both of our ends, as there will be a communication barrier between us for a short time. Zakari, my name is Roderick Lestrange, and while your mother did not disclose this information to you, I'm glad she didn't because I want to be the one to introduce myself to you. I am your father, at least biologically.

I know for the last eleven years of your life I have played no role.

Zakari's little hands shook as he stared wide eyed at the letter in shock. The person who had sent the letter to him, was his father. He wasn't sure in that moment if he was upset or excited, perhaps both. But he was so curious to read more.

Please know that I wanted to be involved in your life, Zakari. More than anything I wanted to watch you grow up and become the amazing little boy that your mother gushes about constantly. And from what she has told me, you are amazing in my opinion as well. I can't wait to see and meet you in person. I understand if you choose not to hold a relationship with me, Zakari. I would not hold it against you and I wouldn't be surprised, but I would like to take the time to explain why I haven't been there for you or your mother for the last decade.

When I was younger, times were much darker than the time that you are living in now. There was a time of war and dark wizards and witches were everywhere. You had to choose a side to fight on and you had to choose wisely, Zakari. I made my choice, or rather my family made the choice for me. As a boy, I fell into the side of the Dark Arts. I took the Dark Mark to my arm and became a Death Eater.

A small cry of horror emitted from Zakari's lips as he realized his father had been a Death Eater. But he couldn't bring himself to stop reading.

I know this will come to be a shock to you and I will understand if you hold it against me every second of your life, because even I cannot forgive myself for the things I have done. It is one of the reasons I left, Zakari. You see, I had the option to run. But I didn't. I wanted to face the justice for my crimes. So I turned myself in and was sentenced to Azkaban before you were born. Everyday I sat in the cell, I thought of everything I had done wrong. I thought about how you would react to knowing someone like me was your father. 

I write to you now, to let you know that I am so sorry for the things I have done and how they affected your life, Zakari. Because you only deserve the best. You're probably wondering why I decided to write this to you at this moment, but I didn't want you to become alarmed when you returned home for Christmas and found a stranger in your home.

Zakari hadn't even realized he had started to cry until a tear drop landed on the letter causing the ink to bleed. He sniffed and set the letter away from him, not wanting to read anymore of it for the time being, he still wasn't sure how to respond. He understood in that moment as to why his mother hardly mentioned his father, why would she take pride in mentioning that he was a Death Eater? His father wasn't dead, she hadn't lied, she just didn't tell him that he had been sitting in Azkaban for the time he had been missing.

He pushed the letter off of his bed and into the drawer of his nightstand before pulling the blanket back over his head, hoping he would disappear.

Franklin and Eve took note of the boy's demeanor and to cheer him up they thought Zakari would enjoy the Quidditch match between Gryffindor and Slytherin. The boy had made no mention of the letter to any of his companions and decided to keep it to himself, but he desperately wanted to write a letter to his mother. He just couldn't figure out what to say.

 Jean decided to join them in the stands as they took the neutral seats not sitting with all the Slytherins or all the Gyrffindors. Duncan sat in Zakari's lap to keep him warm.

He seemed to enjoy the game, as a smile appeared on his face watching the players fly back and forth upon brooms. It was a lot to keep up with for him though. He wanted to watch everything happening, from the Chasers handling the quaffle, to the Beaters handling the bludgers to the Seekers searching for the snitch. He watched as Harry and Draco seemed to cover the entire pitch looking for the little golden snitch. 

He obviously couldn't hear what Draco was saying to Harry in the air, but judging by the expression on both boy's faces, it wasn't anything nice, Zakari presumed. It seemed one bludger was set on making contact with Harry as well.

Zakari was frantically signing in his seat trying to warn the boy to look out causing Eve to laugh beside him, knowing that Harry was not paying attention to Zakari's warnings.

However, luck was on Gryffindor's side as Harry caught the snitch, but it wasn't fully on Harry's side as the bludger struck him in the arm.

The boy winced as Harry's arm was broken from the hard impact.

Before Madam Pomfrey could arrive on the scene and fix the injury, Lockhart took it upon himself to heal Harry's injuries.

Zakari turned to Franklin and signed something.

"Not good."

Duncan whined and covered his face with his paws.