Chapter Twenty One

When Christmas holiday break came around, Zakari wasn't so sure if he was ready to head home. In fact, he was terrified because as he arrived home, he would be meeting his father. Confiding in Franklin, the boy had presented the man the letter he had received from the man called Roderick Lestrange, feeling conflicted with how he was supposed to feel. The thought of having a father in his life filled Zakari with joy as it was something he had always thought of from a much younger age. However, the thought of meeting a man deemed a Death Eater and who had served time in Azkaban frightened him.

Franklin had to come up with something to comfort the boy as they sat on the train. He was hoping the boy's friends were going to accompany the child in the compartment, but Jean and Eve were staying at the castle for the holidays.  Zakari's leg was bouncing up and down as he held Duncan in his arms, the dog attempted to calm the child down by consistently licking Zakari's left cheek.

Finally, Franklin grabbed the boy's attention by waving his hands. Zakari glanced over in the man's direction and watching as Franklin began to sign something.

"Your mother trusts your father."

"How do you know?"Zakari asked wondering if his mother had spoken to Franklin separately at some point.

"Your mother loves you and she would never let anyone hurt you. She  would not let anyone near you if she thought they were going to hurt you." Franklin explained.

Zakari thought of what Franklin had told him for a moment before glancing out the window. It made sense. His mother was the equivalent of a mother bear when it came to protecting her son. He remembered on several occasions of how she had nearly ripped someone's face off for even looking wrong in his direction.

Since Roderick's release he must have been in contact with his mother on multiple occasions and there was even the possibility that they were together again. Which meant that Roderick lived in the home. If Zakari's mother trusted the man to be in the home and meet Zakari, then perhaps Roderick wasn't as scary and bad as the boy was making him out to be in his head.

"I am still nervous." Zakari signed before dropping his hands into his laps with a heavy sigh.

Franklin offered him a reassuring smile.

"I will be there with you."

It was the least he could offer the boy as he wasn't sure if Roderick knew sign language and he was sure the whole reunion was going to be overwhelming for the family. He was hoping he could offer some help to all of them.

Arriving at the King's Cross station hours later, Franklin stepped off the train first as Zakari held onto Duncan close. He was nearly squeezing the dog in his arms so tight that Duncan let out several whimpers but the boy was become even more nervous by the second as he scanned the faces of the adults waiting for the students.

He didn't see his mother and he wasn't sure what his father looked like, so he wasn't sure who he was looking for.

Someone tapped his shoulder and he turned his head to see Franklin standing beside him and pointing in a direction.

He looked and saw his grandfather waving at him.

A bright smile appeared on Zakari's face as he ran over in the man's direction.

Garrick greeted the boy with a kind smile and a warm hug and greeted Duncan with lots of pets and praise. When Franklin walked over, he shook hands with the man and began to ask about the trip.

While the two men conversed, Zakari looked around to see if his parents were there but he did't see his mother anyways.

Tugging on his grandfather's sleeve, Zakari grabbed his attention bringing the man to look down.

"Where is Mum?" He asked.

"Home." Garrick signed. "Waiting for you."

While both parents wanted to be at the station to meet the child, it probably wouldn't have been the appropriate time for the father and son to meet for the first time. Nor did they want anyone ruining the moment by trying to pass judgement on the man who was doing everything he could to redeem himself in the eyes of society.

Liz decided to stay behind with him as Garrick volunteered to pick up the boy from the train station.

"Ready?" 

Zakari looked up to his grandfather.

"Ready."

It certainly didn't take long to arrive to the flat, but they arrived outside the home, by the stairs leading up to give Zakari some time to gather himself. The child so desperately wanted to see his father and quickly learn every little thing he could about him, more so the good about him. He wondered if the man he pictured when he was younger was even remotely close to what the man actually looked like.

He shook terribly as he looked to Franklin and his grandfather who only gave him reassuring nods and encouraged him to go on.

Walking up the steps slowly with Duncan by his side, Zakari could feel his breathing become more and more irregular. Finally, he reached the door and stood outside of it for a few moments.

He looked down to Duncan, who glanced up at him before pawing at the door repeatedly, motioning him to open it. 

Swallowing hard, Zakari turned the knob of the door and opened it.

Walking into his home he could smell the wonderful aromas of his mother's cooking, bringing a smile to his face as he instantly felt relaxed in his own home. However, not seeing his mother or the mystery man that was his father, alarmed him slightly. He looked around, they were obviously home, they were expecting his arrival.

Suddenly, motion out of the corner of the boy's eyes caught his attention and caused him to look over.

Down the hall that led to the bedrooms, he saw his mother coming out of her bedroom, a smile on her face as she looked in his direction. He took a step towards her but quickly froze in place as a man walked out behind her.

His father, Roderick Lestrange.