Chapter Twenty Five

Zakari sat in front of his parents after their announcement and stared at them for a few minutes. They had bright smiles on their faces as they had brought up the possibility of adding another addition to the family. Under normal circumstances, Zakari would have been welcoming to the idea of gaining a brother or sister. It was something he had thought about when he was younger, but of course it wasn't very possible, as it had only been his mother in the picture and she hadn't even dated at all through the time that his father was away in Azkaban.

However, the idea became unsettling as he thought he and his father were getting along nicely.He thought that his father enjoyed his company and was doing really well with learning the sign language to learn how to better communicate with each other. But it was obviously not the case as his parents were considering have another child.

Suddenly, Zakari didn't feel like he was a worthy enough child for his parents, especially Roderick. If they wanted to have another it was probably due to the fact that Zakari was indeed deaf which had made it difficult for Roderick to communicate all the time with him. Perhaps, he was looking for a child that could hear and talk regularly.

Jumping up from where he was sitting, Zakari threw the book he was reading from his lap, and left to his room in rage. He slammed the door behind him and leaned his body against the door to keep everyone out.

Hot little tears rolled down his cheeks and stained his shirt and trousers as he leaned his head back and squeezed his eyes shut. He didn't want to be seen as a disappointment to either one of them. His hands reached up to his ears shakily as gripped onto the ear lobes and pulled at him.

The knock on his door vibrated on his back causing Zakari to jump away from the door and scoot towards his bed.

It opened a moment later and his father walked in before closing the door behind him.

"Leave." Zakari signed to him, using his right hand directing the palm of his hand away from him and down.

Roderick shook his head and sat down on the edge of the bed before looking down at the boy.

"Why are you mad?" The father asked with a frown.

"You want a better baby!" Zakari's hands moved at a rapid pace, and he could see his father's eyebrows furrow together in confusion as he was unable to keep up.

Growing even angrier, Zakari's arms and hands crossed over each other before pointing to himself. "Replace me."

"No." Roderick quickly responded. "Never."

Zakari waited for him to go on and explain himself.

The young father sat before him but rather than struggling with the signing and making matters worse, Roderick grabbed a parchment paper and began jotting something down quickly for Zakari to read. Zakari waited patiently, wondering why his mother wouldn't come into the room and just translate but he only assumed the conversation was between him and his father this time.

Finally, Roderick finished and handed the note over to him.

Zakari carefully took it into his hands and read it over.

I would never want you to think that your mother and I are replacing you, Zakari. Never in a million years would I think to do something like that. You are my son, and the more time I spend with you, the more I wish I was here to spend every second of your life with you and watch you grow. There is no one that could replace you, the baby would be an addition not a replacement. 

Your mother and I love you very much. We know how amazing you are, I learned that in such a short time of knowing you. We think that you would be an incredible big brother as well, which is why we considered it to. You have a big heart and a lot of love to offer and share. Don't ever think that anyone could be better than you. You being deaf doesn't make me love you any less, if anything, it makes me love you more, because it shows me how truly outstanding you are.

The tears continued from Zakari, however, they were no longer tears of sadness but of happy tears as he learned of his father's acceptance. He dropped the letter from his hands and pushed himself up to his feet before walking over to Roderick and wrapping his arms around him in a hug.

He caught movement out of the corner of his eyes causing him to glance over and see his mother standing in the doorway with a box of tissues in hand and a small smile on her face. He smiled with a small sniffle as he left his father's arms and walked towards his mother pulling her into a hug.

Her hands ran over the top of his head bringing him to smile as the idea finally settled well with him.

He was going to be a big brother soon.