⇲Chapter Seven

Zakari had long fallen asleep before the train reached the Hogsmeade Station, especially when Duncan decided to curl up in his lap

Zakari had long fallen asleep before the train reached the Hogsmeade Station, especially when Duncan decided to curl up in his lap. When the train came to a halt, Franklin stood up and was going to make his way over to carefully wake Zakari up by gently patting him on the leg. However, before he could make his way over, Duncan was alerted by the noise of Franklin's movement and lifted his head up. Seeing that there was movement in the compartment, the corgi leapt up and attacked Zakari's face with kisses right away. After a long train ride, he definitely wanted to get off the train as fast as possible to relieve himself.

With an annoyed screech, Zakari's eyes opened as he lifted up his hand to save himself from the unsuspected slobbering. Blocking Duncan, Zakari used the sleeve of his shirt to wipe his face before looking over and seeing that Franklin was motioning him to get up. Immediately, his little heart skipped a beat as he realised that the train was no longer moving.

It meant after a long journey that they had finally arrived.

Jumping up to his feet, Zakari was just as eager as Duncan to get off the train as he wanted to see the Hogwarts castle for himself. Franklin had opened up the compartment door, leaving Zakari and Duncan to dart out. The walkway was crowded with other students, but they seemed to part down the middle to let him move along, many of them curious to catch a glimpse of the little dog that led the way off the train. And as soon as Zakari stepped off the train, he couldn't believe his eyes as he took in the mountainous landscape, realising just how far away from home he was.

The night air was cold but refreshing as he looked around, allowing Duncan to find the nearest bush to relieve himself. As soon as he returned to his owner's side, Franklin made his way over, scooting through the crowds of students. He signed to Zakari that he was supposed to follow the other First Year students that were currently being guided down a path towards the Black Lake. Zakari was confused as he carefully walked down the path that was infested with tree roots until he came upon the sight of boats lined up at the edge of the lake.

Across the way was the Hogwarts castle, lit up in all of its glory. But even in all of its beauty, it was hard for him to ignore the fact that they were going to have to take a boat. He had never been a swimmer, so he could already feel his nerves. But as he focused on the castle again, Zakari was practically willing to do anything to just get there. He had made it that far, he wasn't going to be stopped by some water.

And as if the lake wasn't a big enough distraction, a giant distraction made its way over, in the form a large bearded man. Zakari had to tilt his head back to take in the appearance of the newcomer, as he approached and started talking to Franklin. There seemed to be a bit back and forth between the two before the man looked over in Zakari's direction and gave him a wave of the hand. He could actually feel the breeze that came off the wave, bringing Zakari to take a step back, but he gave a quick wave in return to remain polite.

Directed to one of the small boats, Zakari climbed in and sat down with Duncan jumping in behind him with ease. It was only when Franklin climbed in after him that he looked slightly ridiculous as his long legs looked cramped, pressed up against his chest. Zakari giggled quietly to himself at the sight but hoped that there would be someone else joining the boat. As they waited for the fourth member, Zakari looked over his shoulder and watched as other students climbed into surrounding boats.